Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

creating my own Hall effect ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.

280zex

First thing is boy am I glad I found this web site!! I have been reading sooooo much my head hurts, and thanks for all the good information.

Ok so I'm trying to design my own hall effect ignition system for my 6 cylinder Datsun engine. What I'm attempting is making 3 hall pickup circuits that will trigger 3 single fire dual lead coils, just like a motorcycle but for 6 cylinders. Trigger A will fire coil 1 for cylinders 1 & 6, trigger B will fire coil 2 for cylinders 2 & 5, and trigger C will fire coil 3 for cylinders 3 & 4. This would be considered a wasted spark ignition. The hall pickup units will be separated by 120 degrees in circumference, for 360 degrees total.

I have designed my own hall effect circuit, however I don't think it is correct. I could use some input.

Now I came across this post here on this forum: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/modify-hall-sensor-and-coil-on-plug-pack.133159/

It seems like I can purchase the hall effect pickup unit that debe posted up information on, to do the job I want. All I would have to do is make my own distributor rotor with an iron vane to do the job. However the information in that post is about a single cylinder cop setup, using 1 hall trigger. The setup I am trying to do is for 3 triggers and 3 coils, and I am unsure if the siemens pickup units are capable of directly firing a standard motorcycle coil. If they are this would be great as I wouldn't have to make my own units, unless they are costly $$.

I know I can get a MSD ignition for the job, however I'm not willing to spend 400$+ for something I can learn to build for myself!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0409.JPG
    IMG_0409.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,048
Sorry I can't help you much but you might want to take a look at post #17 at **broken link removed**. It uses a standard coil. I haven't tried it since I got help on my coil on plug and hall ignition system. I'm glad I had a junk motor to rob for the coil and sensor. The auto parts stores around here sell the components for about $60 USD each.

How are you going to advance the timing?
If you are going to use a distributor, then it is a waste to use three coils.

It would be easier to use one sensor, and a PIC or ATMEGA to fire the coils, and to add the correct advance for the RPM and throttle opening.

You could also get a used ECU from the scrap yard, and the coils and sensors, all from a similar engine, and maybe even have that re-programmed to precisely match your engine and driving needs.

You could also look at Megasquirt, you can use it just for ignition or complete management, often available on fleabay for an OK price.

It may well be simple to make the engine run, but to make it rum properly is not going to be a 5 minute job.

Sorry I can't help you much but you might want to take a look at post #17 at **broken link removed**. It uses a standard coil. I haven't tried it since I got help on my coil on plug and hall ignition system. I'm glad I had a junk motor to rob for the coil and sensor. The auto parts stores around here sell the components for about $60 USD each.

Thanks! I found that some useful reading. I did find out that I already have some of the components I need just laying around my garage!!

How are you going to advance the timing?
If you are going to use a distributor, then it is a waste to use three coils.

It would be easier to use one sensor, and a PIC or ATMEGA to fire the coils, and to add the correct advance for the RPM and throttle opening.

You could also get a used ECU from the scrap yard, and the coils and sensors, all from a similar engine, and maybe even have that re-programmed to precisely match your engine and driving needs.

You could also look at Megasquirt, you can use it just for ignition or complete management, often available on fleabay for an OK price.

It may well be simple to make the engine run, but to make it rum properly is not going to be a 5 minute job.

There is the ability to use a Ford EDIS from a 6 cylinder, but then a Megajolt and or Megasquirt system is needed. This costs about600$ and up, plus machining of the harmonic balancer. A MSD 6530 unit is cheaper and has a better guid for a laptop.
I had a Megasquirt and I was not impressed at all, so I sold it and all the EFI components.
My Datsun 280z is unique in the fact that I have turbo blown thru a Holley 4bbl carb. I have already made modifications to my distributor and ignition system, however it keeps melting some of the internal wiring on the original stock Datsun ignition components.
I know I can build what I need. The internet is my friend. Knowledge is power. I am not willing to spend money on something I can do for myself. Even if I fail at least I learned something!!!

I did find a Standard Motor Products LX506 hall effect unit in pile of ignition components I have. I can use this along with a GM HEI ignition module to fire a dual output motorcycle coil. I may even be able to use the LX506 to trigger a cop unit :confused:
Trial and error time!!!

Just thaught id throw this in for interst. Its a Ford 6cyl electronic distributer usung a Hall sensor. Maybe you could modify your dist with a Hall sensor & metal chopper disc & still use your advance system already on the dist.

Attachments

• DIST FORD.3.jpg
    DIST FORD.3.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 1,164
  • DIST FORD.2.JPG
    DIST FORD.2.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 950
  • DIST FORD.1.JPG
    DIST FORD.1.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 1,393
Just thaught id throw this in for interst. Its a Ford 6cyl electronic distributer usung a Hall sensor. Maybe you could modify your dist with a Hall sensor & metal chopper disc & still use your advance system already on the dist.

Yup this is where I was going :eek: however I have not seen this unit in the U.S. Funny thing it seems that you down under get some interesting automotive tech, especially when it comes to Nissan/Datsun!

This is the Hall device in that Dist, about $20 here.

Attachments

• HKZ101 hall.1.jpg
    HKZ101 hall.1.jpg
    991.8 KB · Views: 1,329
  • HKZ101 hall.2.jpg
    HKZ101 hall.2.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 1,059
  • HKZ101 hall.3.jpg
    HKZ101 hall.3.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 871
I admire your intentions, but can't help feeling that incorrect timing could well end up costing you more than a commercial ignition system.

The MSD6530 looks like it would do a good job, and I'm sure you would find someone to suggest a starting point for the advance curve.

I was basing my comments on the diagram you gave on your first post, which had no control over the timing.

I have a friend using an XDI system on his V8 motorcycle, **broken link removed**. He is quite pleased with it. The advance curves are set electronically. It only uses one hall sensor. The system is expensive, looks like $800+ for the module and $1200 for a whole system.

Last edited:
I admire your intentions, but can't help feeling that incorrect timing could well end up costing you more than a commercial ignition system.

The MSD6530 looks like it would do a good job, and I'm sure you would find someone to suggest a starting point for the advance curve.

I was basing my comments on the diagram you gave on your first post, which had no control over the timing.
Thanks for the input. Sometimes I forget to give better explinations with my ideas. You are correct that my original design does not add a spark curve.

I have a friend using an XDI system on his V8 motorcycle, **broken link removed**. He is quite pleased with it. The advance curves are set electronically. It only uses one hall sensor. The system is expensive, looks like $800+ for the module and $1200 for a whole system.

Wow nice equiptmet, if I only had the $$!! Mabe one day if I can get a better understanding of designing my own circuit board, this is what I would like to make!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back