Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhmagic1

Hi there,

I have very little knowledge of electronics.

I am looking to find out if its possible to create a 70mm x 50mm and 10mm thick metal case with a switch that when turned on can create alot of heat without the use of a power supply?

Any help appreciated

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Yeah, a thermal chemical reaction which has nothing to do with electronics.

Ron

Take the guts out of the switch and glue the handle to a kitchen match. When you move the fake switch handle, the match lights and starts the contents burning. The contents are your option.

So now you added an image of a hot plate? What exactly are you trying to do and try real hard to explain it. When you say no power supply that implies no electricity. So what does the switch switch? I give up.

Ron

When I say power supply I mean without mains power. So it would be battery powered. When turned on it would heat a filament inside and make the outside hot.

Just have the switch short circuit a battery. That makes plenty of heat (if you've ever put a 9 volt battery in your pocket with some coins). If the box doesn't fit the battery you want, make the box a different size.

The metal box only has to be hot for a short period of time - about 10 seconds, how long would it take until the short circuited battery explodes or becomes dangerous?

Try a thermonuclear device...

Look into low voltage cartridge heaters. Google Cartridge Heaters and find some low voltage ones. You aren't looking for much heat. The problem will be batteries that can deliver enough current over a long period. How long do you want this thing warm?

Ron

I would start with getting familiar with heating elements, especially cartridge heaters like this. Then get familiar with batteries that will fit into the application. Then worry about a means to control the temperature.

Ron

Actually, you can use LEDs or other components.

High powered LEDs, (especially the no-names) get nice and hot.

That would be a cheap way to go.

Even a paper clip and a AA battery will light fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back