Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

creating a variable voltage power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebirth

Hello. I would like to have a power supply that I can vary the output voltage. My idea is to take, say a 16v power supply and hook it up to a trim pot to only allow some of the voltage through. Is it as simple as that or is there something else I need to consider? Thanks.

Is there anything without LM317?

i was actually looking for something more old fashioned like only a trim pot and transformer and a bridge rectifier.

Is there anything without LM317?

i was actually looking for something more old fashioned like only a trim pot and transformer and a bridge rectifier.
No. That's about as simple as you can get. A pot will only deliver a small amount of current with poor regulation (depending upon the pot resistance and output load).

No. That's about as simple as you can get. A pot will only deliver a small amount of current with poor regulation (depending upon the pot resistance and output load).

if that's the case then we would foreever remain below 1.5A since that's what the datasheet says
anyway to take it above?

The LM317 datasheet should also show a simple circuit where you add a transistor to the LM317 and you can increase the current to a few amps if needed. It's a simple and reliable system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back