Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

creating a surge pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroughstock

I was looking at building an electromagnet that would have a constant 12VDC that would allow a permanent magnet to stick the core, but I want to be able to send a "surge pulse" that would drive the magnet away.

The permanent magnet and electro would have the same poles facing each other, the electro would not have enough current to repel until the surge came through. Also, I would need to be able to send the surge between 600 and 15,000 times/minute.

Is this possible and how would I find the equipment to build or buy something that is already built

Thanks,
Shane

We need more information on what it is you are trying to do or attempt.

What information do you need? I am trying to build an elctromagnet that will have a constant power supply that will just barely allow the permanent magnet to overcome the ecltor mahgs repulsion then the surge will push the 10 gram permanent neo mag away about 1/2 in. The surge would end almost instantly and the permanent mag would return. I need to able to adjust the surges to come in frequencies between 600 and 15000 times/ minute

I seriously doubt you will get a mechanical response of 10 times a second let alone 250 times a second. You also may want to read up a little on permeability of alloys and how cores are made for electro magnets. I think you will find you are limited by a few physical properties. Especially looking for a stroke of 1/2 inch. It sounds a little like you want to build some form of electro solenoid?

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back