Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Create a start → stop/time on delay → reverse motion → stop circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenArrow

I would like to make a circuit to Start a motor CW, stop & set time delay on for CCW of a ½ horse motor (typical garage door opener).

Objective:
1. Button is pushed and released, operates motor CW to move object.
2. Object moves to desired point and stops motor (circuit resets till button is pushed again)
3. Stopped object sets a time delay to start motor again CCW. (programmable delay start time for 0, 3, 5, 8, 10, 13 seconds)
4. Object moves to desired point and stops motor. (circuit resets till button is pushed again)

Ideas?

I plan to use a garage door opener as stated. They do not have a delay function. How/where do I connect a time on delay ? ( programmable delay start time for 0, 3, 5, 8, 10, 13 seconds)

Depends how capable you are....'cause nobody has any idea if you are the next incarnation of Limor Fried or Corky the hamburger slinger...and only one of those two cases is easy to deal with.

No I do not have alot of electronic experience. I do have a degree in humanity. I posted on this site asking for assistance to make something for kids that have never had the chance to be part of anything in their life. In the minitry I find people like you that think your better than someone else and make poor decisions on how to reply to an ask for assistance. Since this is not something you can handle, please do not respond to this thread.

If there is anyone on this site that would like to make a difference with at risk youth, please respond to my post. Broken Arrow Mnistries has a very limited budget to purchase high end equipment. We do not ask for money, we ask for information on how to build to make incredible opportunities and memories for area youth.
Thank you in advance of your assistance.

Well, if you'd answer the questions and maybe give out some more info, I might hook you up a bit better.

'cause I was going to suggest getting a PIC(insert almost any part number here), a few push buttons, a MOSFET (insert part number here), and possibly lead you down the path of getting it done.
or...in simpler cases possibly getting an Arduino Uno, a couple push buttons, a few LEDs and resistors to go with them, a relay shield, and etc.etc.etc...

Can't handle it? Yep...probably right...Guess I'm not saved enough eh? ===D

Attachments

• pocasa 1 pcb done.jpg
    pocasa 1 pcb done.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 157
Why all the attitude? Does dumbing it down a notch or two, or three and more that bad?
You questions have been sarcastic remarks behind a "?" I mentiond what I was trying to build, my thoughts on the opertion. I was looking at installing a delay on relay to a garage door opener circuit but do not know how to connect it. garage door opener is $150, delay on relay $40. misc parts $??.
I have access to every resistor, capacitor, PIC and known. Thought I might find help on how to put it together and save a few $$
Build anything... only hopes in kids.
Saved enough? definition of saved? Overrated and distorted. Being Save is a label. Being Saved Enough is a non attainable standard made by those who do not have a clue of what the Good Book is about. This system has hurt alot of good people. Really! The Book is about a relationship with Him. People fail, people have issues, hurt people hurt people. This is why we (Broken Arrow ministries Inc) work with hurting kids. Engage - Inspire - Challenge - Encourage - Empower. check us out on facebook.
I cant handle not knowing what I want to do and have to ask others to help!

I have access to every resistor, capacitor, PIC and known.
And again, would've been handy to know that in the first place.

Single button at the shooter end to do the triggering...
Brains (PIC), 1 push button, relays (to do the door opener button pushing), etc, at the target end to do the work...

Start with target down...push button is pushed providing the input to the PIC that the target is down...
Shooter pushes button...
PIC sees the button pushed, checks the lever switch to see if it's closed, looks at the DIP switches attached to it for a delay (unless you want a random time, then program it that way), waits for the delay (if any), then actuates the relay which connects the door opener button. (or if the switch is open immediately actuates the relay...which is the case below)
Door opener swings the target up, the push button that was pushed is now not pushed, therefore, if the target isn't down, it must be up.
Shooter pushes button again...
PIC sees the button pushed, checks the lever switch to see if it's closed. If it's not, immediately actuates the relay to swing the target down.
Door opener swings the target down, same lever switch gets engaged, PIC goes back into a holding pattern waiting for something else to happen.

And I think a garage door opener is overkill unless the targets are really heavy.
Could likely go out to the local junkyard and get a power window motor or wiper motor for $10-$20, but would have to add a few things like limit switches and probably a couple of relays.

Skimask87, Please check your attitude, He is asking for help with a project. There is no reason to be abusive.

With the requirement for selectable delays this looks like a task best suited to a micro (although it would be possible using discrete logic ICs). The micro would need to monitor button, selector switch and limit switch inputs, and control reversing and motor power functions.

If you just want to use a generic geared motor with limit switches at top and bottom, the attached circuit should do the trick. The switch on the left can be remote. The 22k + 1M variable resistor can be replaced by a rotary switch and discrete resistors if you actually want discrete time steps, alternately DIP switches can be used in the same capacity. If you keep the variable resistor, you can have any delay from aprox. 0.4 - 22 seconds.

Attachments

• target actuator controller.jpg
    target actuator controller.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 177
Dougy83
Can you clarify a few questions please??
1. Can this switch be a presss once for on?
2. Where does this pin connect to on the cirsuit?
3. Are these two the limit switches?
4. Is this a 100uF capacitor?
5. Not sure if this a switch before the relays!?

You commented about a DIP switch... where is the best location?
Thanks again for you reply.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 165
Are you really going to use a garage door opener with its limit switches and single button open/close switch?
It might make the circuit easier. Add a switch on the far end where you want the timing to begin to trigger a 555 timer and have its output wired in parallel with the stock open/close switch to bring it back. You can use switches to select different resistors for your timing intervals.

Last edited:
1. Can this switch be a presss once for on?
2. Where does this pin connect to on the cirsuit?
3. Are these two the limit switches?
4. Is this a 100uF capacitor?
5. Not sure if this a switch before the relays!?
1. Yes. Just a short press will start the cycle. If you hold it down, the target will be held up until you release the switch (and the programmed time has expired)
2. This pin is unused and not connected.
3. Yes, the one marked "UP" is the upper/top limit switch and that marked "DOWN" is the lower/bottom limit switch.
4. These devices are FETs (transistors). You can use 2n7002 or similar, or probably any other you have.
5. What do you mean?
You commented about a DIP switch... where is the best location?
The DIP switch and its eight resistors replace the 1m potentiometer and 22k resistor; i.e. between 12V and the positive of the 22uF capacitor. You might just want to use a pot. or just a resistor first.

Dougy83
Please describe 1, 2, 3, 4 in attached jpg. I apologize, trying to understand.
Are you really going to use a garage door opener with its limit switches and single button open/close switch?
It might make the circuit easier. Add a switch on the far end where you want the timing to begin to trigger a 555 timer and have its output wired in parallel with the stock open/close switch to bring it back. You can use switches to select different resistors for your timing intervals.
I looked into using a garage door opener with a micromatic delay on relay and the cost for the two is about $200. I received a bin of garage door motors for free and hoped to make the circuit board less expensive since I have access to the electronic components.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 176
Please describe 1, 2, 3, 4 in attached jpg. I apologize, trying to understand.
1. A relay coil in parallel with a diode and a FET
2. A 100nF capacitor in parallel with the motor (optional)
3. The contacts of the lower relay
4. A FET that drives the lower relay coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back