Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CRC(cyclic redundancy check) - hardware implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiol73

Dear all,

I have a problem. I do not understand how I can implement a divisor circuit for CRC, when the generator polynomial and the message vector are given. The idea is that I should be able to design an easy divisor circuit with G(x)=x^3+x+1 and message vector M(x)=x^6+x^5+x+1 that emulates the binary division:

(2^n)*M(x) : G(x) which is in binary:

How to do this operation designing a divisor circuit and shift registers?

I hope somebody out there will help me. Thanks.

It's a long time since I studied CRC polynomials, so I don't remember what the G(x) & M(x) are.

However, if all you want to do is divide one binary number by another, then you could do it by successive subtraction and shift the result of each step in a shift register. eg 12/4 = 12 - 4 - 4 - 4 = 0. Since 4 had to be subtracted 3 times then 12/4 = 3. 13/4 = 13 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 = -3 so it is 3 with a remainder of 1.

If you intend to use a micro and by chance it's a 18F, not gates, you could check a division routine I wrote, under PICs

**broken link removed**

might be too much but could help you to understand. HTH

You need a shift register with access to the outputs of the appropriate stages and some exclusive OR gates.

In a micro it is usually done with a lookup table so all the data bits and the current CRC are used to compute the next CRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back