Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crazy question I know nothing keep in mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined this forum to see if I could get an answer to one of my questions on a project im working on. Anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

What Im trying to do:

I have dog with a vest. On that vest there are two different types of lights. I want to use a key fob(like the ones for a car) to turn on and off those lights so that I could have one on or both depending on what is needed. Both lights run off of batteries. I have see key fobs online with receivers but dont want to buy them without knowing if this is the right route. The purpose of this would be able to turn the lights on and off without having to actually go up to the dog to turn them on. Saves time and is better. Here is some key fobs that i have found. I do realize that I would have to go into the light and hardwire it to the transmitter, but would it work?

Keyfob
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/KTX20AB20Series.pdf

Type of lights I am using
**broken link removed**

That will be cool.
Maybe I should put remote controlled turn signal lights on my dog too.

it would be used so that lawenforcement officers could track their dogs at night if they were out of sight plus its difficult to see at night anyway

Last edited:
An interesting and useful application. The idea is quite feasible, but the particular models of hardware you linked to are not the best choice in my opinion. The keyfob has addresses that are hard coded either by opening the unit and modifying solder bridges (which is a workshop change only, not a field change), or you must accept a fixed address from the factory. This does not allow much flexibility in the case of multiple units or dogs on one search. The receiver, which would be located on the dog's harness is not packaged for outdoor, on-body use. In addition, it requires a 12V power supply which is not convenient for personal use. It would be much better to find a receiver that is suitably packaged and runs from a couple of AA cells instead.

I will look around and post with better alternatives if I find any. If we can't find a suitable receiver, it might be necessary to design and build something custom, which is not such a large project, especially using modular assemblies.

It will also be necessary to customize a suitable antenna for the dog's harness which is not difficult, but requires a bit of antenna knowledge.

Last edited:
This is a great project. Please tell me the one on the dog's back is a rotating Mars light.

You people are too funny If you knew the reason why I am trying to do this you would probably understand then I guess. Ive never been in a forum like this where people make fun of other peoples Ideas. Thanks radioron for the help.

You people are too funny .....
Ive never been in a forum like this where people make fun of other peoples Ideas.
We are not dry and serious all the time. We joke and make fun of everything we can. Especially when somebody wants to put remote-controlled lights on a dog without saying why in the first post.:rolleyes:

No doubt you are going to take a lot of ribbing for this project, but it's certainly a good idea. The dogs are going to be working in the dark sometimes and it would be useful to keep track of them. Here, maybe this animation will help show the serious nature of the work involved -

k9lights-gif.25018

Attachments

• k9lights.gif
    k9lights.gif
    85.9 KB · Views: 5,802
Last edited:
I doubt they would wear them.

Very funny diagram. However the lights are IR meaning that you can only see them with nightvision

hi,
If you use IR, say leftside flashing at 1/sec and the rightside flashing at say 2/sec, you wouldnt need to remote control the lights and the bad guys wouldnt see the IR.
You would of course need IR night vision goggles or a vidcam suitable for IR imaging.

If you want use this permanently, when receiver will be still mounted on the dog then you have problem with power consumption of receiver.. other case is that, you turn on receiver whenever you go on trip.. and then you may comfortably switching light ON-OFF.

I have on my desk pair of RF Tx-Rx these:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

they are low cost and working excellent 220m
or try to, order free sample (and say that want a build wireless doglight...)

Or maybe one's solid and the other blinks. Is that how it works - left and right? Are you using sheepdog commands like "come by" and "away" and that kind of thing, so you need to know the dog's left and right?

As long as you are going with electronics and a radio link, how about a camera and a gps?

There are GPS trackers for kids and pets on the market. Have you considered them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back