Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cranky trackpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

My laptop died the other day, I tried re-flowing the motherboard with my trusty heat gun and amazingly it works again. However the ps/2 trackpad has gone a bit cranky. It will work fine for a few seconds, then become more and more erratic before locking up completely (clicks still work though). Leave it alone for a while and it will work for a few more seconds. Have eliminated slightly melted connector, and ribbon cable as cause of fault. I'm speculating that it's getting limited power, storing some charge, working with that until it's gone, deteriorating performance as it goes, then re-gaining it when it's been left alone a while and working briefly again.
Wondering how to proceed. Any suggestions, anyone?

Hi throb

I am dreading the day my Acer 5680 goes belly up. It's been the best purchase I ever made. Purchased in 2006...for a Lappie a good innings.

Real advise is here:**broken link removed**

Be wary though...tread carefully. Register. Ask your question and wait for one of the PRO's to answer. And someone will who has had a similar problem to yours. Probably with the same Lappie too. A very busy and active forum.

Regards,
tvtech

I think mine is the same age - a Dell Inspiron 1501 64bit. Came with 32bit Vista installed. Duh. Junked that put 64bit Linux on it, haven't looked back. But it's getting rather tired, just wish I could afford a new one.

I think it was the power converter that had failed, though I re-flowed everything just to be sure. Going to try the same trick on another lappy someone gave me, which died sometime between them turning it off and me turning it on! Also my really ancient one with intermittent deadness would benefit, then I could use it as a pdf viewer.

But I'll try the link and see what happens. Thanks for that.

Oh look, mouse pointer won't move at all now. Fail...

^^^^^LOL...XP here :)

And no support ever again. Micro$ has huge issues to deal with when it comes to XP....Seriously though throb..Register, ask your question..and sit back and wait for a reply.

They might laugh at you.....or one of the old buggers will come through and give you good advise.

Lots of Students there that have the greatest and the latest that Mommy or Daddy bought for them so they could be the smartest :p

Some good stalwarts there though.

Regards,
tvtech

Sheesh, lot of adverts on there. Internet playing up today, could really do without them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back