Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cranking amps conductance testers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

These testers determine the conductance or inverse of internal resistance and then infer cranking amps on an auto battery.

**broken link removed**

They do not consider whether the battery can sustain this discharge over the 10 to 15 sec that may be needed to start a poorly tuned car. Also this does not indicate if the battery can sustain the car for a reasonable time while driving if the alternator fails.

Carbon pile type testing is therefore the better test for this.

Am I right in this?

**broken link removed**

Carbon pile type testing is therefore the better test for this.

Am I right in this?

You need something that can test over a 30 second time span. From their web page I see " The Midtronics CCA value derived from conductance does not, however, determine the actual Cold Cranking Amps of the battery because that test includes a lengthy discharge of 30 seconds at a very high current rate."

I'm not sure carbon pile is a good test either. We use a resistance heating type of meter in our shop. The battery needs to be fully charged to get meaningful results.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but they do make DC clamp on ammeters that you can use to check battery current. You do not have to unbolt any connections to do the measurements. Very handy and i use this on the computer too to check power supply currents in each line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back