Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CPU replacement fan & cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack0987

A cpu & fan combo that I use for odds and ends has an extremely loud fan when it ramps up.
It's been a while, but I believe the fan came with the cpu. It is a
AVC (Asia Vital Components) 80mm standard fan Model #DS08025T12UP033

There are three things I would like to do:
1. Replace the fan
2. get some good software to check the cpu temperature (windows xp)
3. height is a consideration. I have to cut off the top rim of the fan and poke holes in the sides to get it to fit and get air flow.

Please suggest a replacement fan and some software I can download from a trusted site.
should I consider a cooler that does not cost an arm and two legs?
I should have mentioned that I'm using windows xp in this case.
thanks

Years ago I used SpeedFan and liked it. Used it with XP so I know back then it worked well with XP. As to the 80mm fan? Just replace it with any 3 wire 80mm fan, a fan with the third wire tachometer out. As to the fan(s) running full speed at power up? That is normal on many motherboards until the fan speed control kicks in. All you care about is if the fan(s) quiet down. The cpu and fan cooler is generally referred to as the HSF (Heat Sink Fan) assembly and generally have fans smaller than the standard 80 or 40mm fans. I have seen lower profile fans (not as thick) but the screw patterns on all of these things is the same.

I can't begin to suggest where to buy because you don't list a location and I do not know which suppliers ship where. As to a new HSF (cpu cooler) that is totally dependent on the cpu that you have. All HSF assemblies are not the same because all CPUs are not the same.

Ron

Thanks Reloadron.

I can order from most anywhere.

The cpu is an Intel Pentium D 940 - 3.2ghz.
Boy that thing seems to run hot. I am sure I will need to add some case fans as well.

I had a three wire Themaltake 80mm fan here, cut the sides off and it seems to be working. It's quiet and I'll just run it at high spped all the time.

The speed fan download site seems to be problematic as it has all kinds of download links that appear to be anything but what I want.
This is what I was hoping to avoid.
Please advise.

For Speed Fan try this link. This is Speed Fan version 4.50 :

The latest version is SpeedFan 4.50. Some tools (like Norton Internet Security or ZoneAlarm) may interfere with the download process. Basically, the REFERER field must be properly sent to SpeedFan's web server. Download won't work if any tool blocks it. For webmasters: if you do not want to mirror the download locally to your website, please link to https://www.almico.com/speedfan.php and not to the direct download as it won't work. Thank you for your cooperation.

The link goes to my own server. The file will download as a .zip file, just right click on the downloaded file and click Extract ALL. The only file in there is about a 2.5 MB .exe to run the program and install it.

Ron

Ron, for a second I thought you were actually the author of speedfan, I was once trying to contact him but got no response..

Which is the link for the hwmonitor?

Sites where this is not clear to me (they have multiple links for different things on the same page), I categorize as spam sites and are not generally to be trusted.

Ron, for a second I thought you were actually the author of speedfan, I was once trying to contact him but got no response..

Nope, not me. :) Years ago I was, for a short period of time, into reading what was going on inside the computer. Speedfan was just something I came across. :)

Ron

Which is the link for the hwmonitor?

Sites where this is not clear to me (they have multiple links for different things on the same page), I categorize as spam sites and are not generally to be trusted.

Where is said Try This Link. I placed the file in a zip folder on my own server making it easy for you to download. So just click where I typed try this link. That or:

https://bearblain.com/Downloads/SpeedFan.zip

Ron

Thanks ron. I have it now. (Sorry about your dog.)

I added an additional case fan and it shows a cpu temp of 70C.
This is my first time with heat issues. I think this is a bit hot.
I wonder if there is anything else I can do or check.

Thanks ron. I have it now. (Sorry about your dog.)

I added an additional case fan and it shows a cpu temp of 70C.
This is my first time with heat issues. I think this is a bit hot.
I wonder if there is anything else I can do or check.

Yeah, Bear was a remarkable dog. We have always had dogs around here. :) I seem to like and trust dogs more than most people I know.

Well 70C is about 158F which for a D940 Pentium D is a little on the hot side, but been years since I was into all of this. As to doing or checking? You can always shut things down and remove the HSF from the CPU and completely clean the CPU with isopropanol alcohol. Then reapply some good thermal compound and carefully spread it on the CPU being careful and don't overdo it. You just need to be careful with the thermal compounds not to use too much. I do recall thinking about it that the Pentium D chips did run warm as I recall. Also, make sure the HSE assembly is clean as in no dust or dirt on fan blades or cooling fins of the heat sink.

Obviously you need good airflow through the case. Years ago I did a small test on case temperatures, what remains of that test can be found here. The idea was to look at ambient air temperatures into and out of the case with, in this case, both processors doing nothing and at 100% load. Also looked at the PSU inlet and outlet temps.

Anyway, I would start with a reapplication of thermal compound. Note the CPU temps under various loads before and after to see if you make any gains.

Ron

Thanks for the reply, Ron.

The fan on the cpu is I think a master cooler brand and does not seem to be doing the job well. I ordered the intel fan cooler for it from ebay for thirteen bucks. It has a larger fan with an open top. It should at least be an improvement. I will let you know.

Also, I have now downloaded the hwmonitor suggested by Gary above and will compare the two.

Not really related here, but I have a ttl 7404 inverter that I would like to boost the output enough for transmission over a #24 wire say fifty or a hundred feet and light a few LEDs at the end of it. I have some 3904s and some 3906s. Might that be a good way to do it?

As I recall everyone was making CPU coolers and everyone made the best one made. :) Cooler Master was in with the rest. Once you get the new one just put it in and see how it does. The same is pretty much true of hardware monitoring software, everyone was making the stuff to where we could look at all sorts of interesting data from within our PC. :) I just happen to recall Speed Fan but there were a dozen like it. Find one you like and run with it.

The 7404 is a hex inverter just remember they come in several versions. They all are hex inverters but depending on exact part number have different working specifications like working voltages and how much output current they can source or sink. Now again the chip is a Hex Inverter meaning 6 Inverters in a single package. It does not "boost" or amplify anything in merely inverts it. The 2N3904 and 2N3906 transistors can handle about 200 mA and should be kept below that. If you tell me exactly what you are looking to do I'll make some suggestions. Need to know the data for the LEDs. Forward current and voltage.

Ron

I find, so far, speed fan works quite well. Having it, I have been using it on some of my other computers. A computer similar to the pentium d one with a dual core shows a temp of 80C when busy and this one has the intel fan that I just ordered for the other one. Heck, if it gets any hotter it will melt the solder? <smile> Thinking about adding additional case fans where I can at this point.

On my little hex inverter booster, I have two types of hex inverter ics here - 74ls04 and 74hc04. Can always order up a different one. The LEDs are blue (FV=3.0-3.4V Cur= 20ma) and red (FV=1.9-2.1V cur=20ma). Only intending to run two or three at the end of the line. I tried this out using the 74hc04 with a 3906 and it looks good.

OK, good with the LED specs. What voltage do you want to run the LEDs with? For example I can have 5 volts to turn the transistor on and off but run my LEDs on 12 volts? All we are doing is driving the transistor into saturation and using it as a switch. Oh yeah, before I forget, the hex inverter has six inverters. That means if we do not use all the inverters the unused inputs should be tied to either Vcc (Power) or Ground. All unused inputs need to go somewhere be it Vcc or Ground but cannot be left just floating.

Ron

Thanks so much Ron. I am just going to use 5 volts. On the signal line (base) of the transistor I just guessed and put in a 10K resistor. Thanks for the tip about the unused inputs. I did not know that.

Now, to wait for my fans.

You really don't want a 10K base resistor in there. Let's say a 2N3904 transistor driving 4 LEDs at 20 mA each off 5 Volts. That is about 80 mA through the transistor. If we look at the 2N3904 data sheet we can see what the Hfe is for the transistor. Now calculate the needed base current required to turn on the transistor. Looking at the datasheet, Hfe could be as low as 30 at 100mA. The Hfe is the DC current gain. The base current should then be IC/ Hfe = 100mA / 30mA = 3.33mA. We will multiply that base current X2 to make sure we get the transistor turned on and into saturation, acting like a switch. Heck, let's make it 7mA we need for base current. Finally calculate the value for Rx, the base resistor. Note: When the transistor is turned on there will be about a 0.7V drop across the base emitter junction. Therefore Rx = V/Ib = (5V – 0.75V)/7mA = 607Ω. This value isn't critical so use the closest standard value (560Ω). That will pretty much get things by at as much as a 100 mA load on the transistor. While 10K may work it really isn't close to getting the transistor into saturation and will likely cause the transistor to run hotter trying to drive the load.

Ron

This may be a bit simplistic, but I still use the fan that came with my CPU. The "Big Black Box" has 5 large fans. Up to 8 inches.

When I upgraded to an 8 core AMD, core temperatures rose to 72 degrees F. Not acceptable during the winter. Solution? I took the side cover off, removing one fan. Result: Max core temperature, using the same monitoring software, dropped to 56.

I don't know the name of the software. It was actually freeware, but that was a rebuild ago.

A lot of fans do nothing useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back