Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Covert led light from a transformer to battery power

Status
Not open for further replies.

iTechieGuy.com

I know just enough about electricity to shock myself and I am looking for some help with a project.

I just purchased a mini set of LED lights that are powered by a transformer. The wire has a screw in connector to the transformer with a couple of exposed prongs. It would seem that I would be able to replace the transformer with a battery pack, clipping onto the two wires. Here is the output from the transformer:

12 v
.5 a
6 va

Could I set up a battery pack to replace the transformer? If so, what would I need?

Thanks before hand.

Stephen

My light set is a 60 light mini LED, the smallish bulbs used for christmas lights, approximately 1/4 inch in length. Anyone know the approximate draw of those?

I found a similar cord with a battery pack. It is a 20 light string. It states that is required 3 AA and runs for 36 hours. so, I doubt my set would draw the full 1/2 amp.

One might ask why I just switch per to a battery pack set and be done with it. The problem is this is branches with the lights taped to them.

Working on the assumption that the forward voltage drop of each LED is ~2V I would guess the set could consist of 12 strings of 5 LEDs each. Another guess is that the LEDs are run close to their max current of ~30mA. So 12 strings at 30mA = 360mA; hence the 0.5A rating of the tranny.
Another way of doing the sums is to say that each LED needs 2V * 30mA = 60mW. So 60 LEDs need 60 * 60 mW = 3.6W. So the current from a 12v supply would be 3.6 / 12 = 300mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back