Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Couple of questions about lm111 op-amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirtyTwo

does anybody know what the differences between the lm111,lm211,and lm311 are? Will it work well with an input voltage in the range of .1V-1V? Is there a dual or quad op-amp that has 2 of these in 1 package? And what do the letters mean after the op-amp (lm111ns, lm111n, lm111m, lm111J-8)

thx

ThirtyTwo said:
does anybody know what the differences between the lm111,lm211,and lm311 are? Will it work well with an input voltage in the range of .1V-1V? Is there a dual or quad op-amp that has 2 of these in 1 package? And what do the letters mean after the op-amp (lm111ns, lm111n, lm111m, lm111J-8)

thx

different temperature ranges, and the suffix is to do with what package, SO,DIL,...

ThirtyTwo said:

thx
I hope you don't plan to use this part as an op amp. It's a comparator. Op amps make decent comparators under certain conditions. Comparators, on the other hand, can only be used as op amps for a very limited range of applications. I know a lot of people call all high gain differential amplifiers op amps, but that's not accurate.
It will work over the input range you mentioned. Keep in mind it requires dual power supplies.
Unless you have some sort of pathological attraction to LMX11, there are probably better choices available.
There are dual and quad comparators and op amps available (which you probably know). I don't think there is a dual or quad LMX11 available.
Differences among LM111, 211, and 311 are operating temperature range, maximum input offset voltage, maximum input current, maximum supply current, etc. The datasheet has all that info.
Why don't you tell us what you are trying to do. There may be a better alternative.

thx

im going to add some more functionality to the voltage clamp you helped me with. so far it has Clamping, and Safety but im adding Air/Fuel mixture control(just a trimmer on the output to drop voltage which makes my car's computer add or decrease the amount of Fuel injected), Additional Injector Control(after making the first voltage clamp i ran into a problem with not having enough fuel past the cutout point, so im adding an injector and controlling it with an added circuit), and Lean Cutout(i want the motor to shutdown if it goes too lean because that will fry my pistons).

i want to use the lm111 to act as a voltage switch, my 02 sensor outputs a voltage from 0V-1V depending on the Air/Fuel Mix. So i want to make 5V go to the output of the voltage clamp if the 02 sensor drops below .4V which will make the computer shut the motor down. I also used another one to deactivate the Lean cutout until the voltage clamp is clamping because while the motor is not running 0V is sent from the 02 sensor so i wouldnt be able to start my motor because 5v would trigger the computer's engine shutdown. I also want to use one to activate the Additional Injector Controller when a user defined voltage is reached And an electronic boost controller that i currently have running off of a pressure switch.

The reason i wanted 4 in one package is because i need one for the 02 cut, one for the extra injector, one for activating the 02 cut, and one for the boost controller; and each one needs a different voltage setting to switch at. so having it all on one chip would make things more compact

Attachments

• vswitch.gif
    vswitch.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 679
As I recall, the LM111/211/311 has an open-collector output and requires a pull-up resistor to achieve standard logical output unless your application is to pull one side of a high-connected load to ground to turn it on. Your diagram had no such object connected to the output. And shame on any circuit simulator that indicated such an output without proper pull-up.

Dean

Yes it Requires a Pull Up Resistor on the Output and Maximum Dissipation is 500 mW.

Yes, You can do this, but this is max. dissipation. The required (always higher) resistor value depend from following circuit. E.g. need a relay as output device with driver transistor. The resistor give only base current for transistor, so the comparator dissipation remain low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back