Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Couple of PIC Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_1

Hi:

I am still learning PICs. I have two questions:

1-Does any PIC compiler handle graphics? that is to draw line, circle..etc

2-Those PIC programmers, do they program pre-defined set of PIC chips, that is if new PIC chip is introduced to market, then I have to buy new programmer?.

Thanks in advance.

joe_1 said:
Hi:

I am still learning PICs. I have two questions:

1-Does any PIC compiler handle graphics? that is to draw line, circle..etc

How could they?, there's no screen to display graphics on! - grahics programming is a function of the hardware you use, rather than of the processor.

2-Those PIC programmers, do they program pre-defined set of PIC chips, that is if new PIC chip is introduced to market, then I have to buy new programmer?.

Most are software upgradable, so you can use new software as new chips are supported - obviously the best in this respect is going to be MicroChip's own programmer - the PICStart+.

There are several graphics LCD types commonly used with PIC, both monochrome and color. They have internal controllers, so you write a memory location and forget it, it doesn't scan out lines and provide a video signal.

There's at least one hardware solution to do simple text overlay on a video signal, the PIC can write to the hardware.

There have been a handful of projects which do generate a crude video signal with a PIC. They're fundamentally crude because the PIC hardly has enough memory to hold a page of video, and the speed required to flawlessly generate video is quite high.

Can anyone list some good online guides for writing to these dot matrix displays? I've had some experience with character displays, so I guess I'm looking for strategies on drawing shapes, special characters, etc. If it helps any, I'm using an OPTREX DMF-5042 (see attached). Color display guides would help too.

The spec sheet is where you start.

Be aware of the terms:
"Reflective"- these only reflect ambient light. They show up fine in any amount of daylight but of course aren't visible in the dark unless lit from the front.
"Transmissive"- these are solely lit by backlights and don't reflect ambient light. Ambient light washes out the display. Most laptops are transmissive. Transmissive displays appear black when off.
"Transflective"- Reflects ambient light, but can also be backlit.

Color displays you'll have access to are almost all transmissive. There are reflective/transflective color screens used in PDAs, some are just making it onto the surplus market and driving them is a very sketchy proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back