Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

counter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaz

i have a question concerning the digital readout of a counter. Am i right to assume that the only way to know how to get a certain number to appear on one is to have a truth table?? say i want this counter to read 1138, i would have to know what kind of signal goes to which IC in order for that number to appear right? hope this isnt too vague, also this counter is about 30 years old

It depends on what kind of counter you are referring to. For example, if it is an old frequency counter instrument, then it is quite easy to predict what will show on the display. But if it is a counter from a piece of machinery, then it is tougher. Most counters are wired to respond to a single AC voltage input by counting continuously up or down in a particular number system, like decimal, binary, or the like. Some counters count up to a specific limit, then reset to zero and repeat over and over. Some do this in the downwards direction.

An expert can look at the schematic diagram and predict what number of input cycles would be required to show a particular number on the output. But if you have an old counter, then we can assume the schematic is not available. Posting a photo of what you have might be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back