Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Counter Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

redrick17

hi there can somebody give a counter circuit that can be use in a coin bank that can be joined by a 4 digit 7 segment display ?? i'm only using a single type of coin and my goals are to count the total value and display it to the seven segment display .. really need support here ..

A four digit display would give you 9,999 counts. That is a hell of a lot of coins. Is this a homework assignment or school project?

You can increment a count of 1 for each coin or the value of the coin. When you say total value I assume if you put four quarters in you want it to read 100 cents?

Ron

a project mate .. i'll use a coin that have a value of 5 .. so when i drop a coin it will count as 5 and so on .. is the bidirectional counter can increment and decrement at the same time? my plan is when i drop a coin it will increment the value in the display and when i withdraw some coin it will decrement .. is this possible ?

a project mate .. i'll use a coin that have a value of 5 .. so when i drop a coin it will count as 5 and so on .. is the bidirectional counter can increment and decrement at the same time? my plan is when i drop a coin it will increment the value in the display and when i withdraw some coin it will decrement .. is this possible ?

Yes, it can be done. Not 100% on the design but it can be done. There were threads sometime back (maybe 6 to 12 months) where there was focus on a people counter. Someone enters the room (place a coin in) and the counter increments up. Someone exits (a coin is removed) and the counter decrements down. I think I have some rough circuits of the design at home (at work now). I'll see what I have and post. You may want to Google People Counter and use the forum search for people counter. People coins? All counts. :)

Then the matter of counting by coin denomination has to be dealt with.

Ron

You could use four 40110 decade up/down counters which directly drive a 7-segment display. It has separate up and down clock inputs. Of course it only increments/decrements one count per clock pulse, so if you want more counts per coin you could add an additional binary counter and a 555 astable circuit as a clock generator to generate the desired number of clock pulses per coin.

Attached is a basic design of the people counter I mentioned. For now forget about the actual counter. Focus on the two LDRs and how they drive the logic gates. When all is said and done we determine if something (coins or people) is going in or out. This gets into giving a counter an increment up or decrement down pulse. The pulse is determined by which LDR has a beam of light broken first, In or Out. The circuit is an example of one method for determining if coins are going in or out.

The counter Carl mentions is a programmable Up/Dn counter much like the one shown n the attached. From there you would do as Carl mentions.

Ron

Attachments

• People Count.gif
    People Count.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 312
Attached is a basic design of the people counter I mentioned. For now forget about the actual counter. Focus on the two LDRs and how they drive the logic gates. When all is said and done we determine if something (coins or people) is going in or out. This gets into giving a counter an increment up or decrement down pulse. The pulse is determined by which LDR has a beam of light broken first, In or Out. The circuit is an example of one method for determining if coins are going in or out.....
Such complex logic is only needed if the in and out port is the same opening. If they are different openings, then the sensors can directly trigger the respective up or down clocks.

Such complex logic is only needed if the in and out port is the same opening. If they are different openings, then the sensors can directly trigger the respective up or down clocks.

Ah yes, good point Carl. I think I had visions of the piggy bank when I was a kid. The coins had one way in and only one way out (short of a hammer). :)

On another note, an unrelated note, I was thinking (something I do infrequently) about this. Using two digital inputs to a computer and a simple program this would be easy to do.

Ron

Yes, a microprocessor would be a much simpler way to do this, especially if he wants to count and display the value of different coins.

is this counter is programmable ??

No and my bad. Counters like the 74192 and 74193 are. Programmable meaning you can preset a count or load a count. The big merit to the suggested counter by Carl is it will drive a display directly sans a BCD to seven segment display driver.

Ron

i'll do a different way for in and out of the coins .. thanks for all your reply it really help me lot about my project ..

can somebody give me an idea on the internal structure of a coin bank that can withdraw a coin?? any suggestion??

ok mate .. it only depends to the LDR's i will use .. in the circuit you gave to me how many 7 segment display it can hold ? my plan now is using only 2 seven segments display and where do i connect it ??

This is a link to the data sheet for the CD40110 counter that Carl mentioned. It is a good choice. Attached is a basic drawing showing how you would cascade two of them. The chip will directly drive a 7 segment display. I suggest you read the data sheet to get familiar with the chip.

Right now I have no idea how to do the 5X count as each coin has a value of 5. Hopefully someone will come along with a thought.

Ron

Attachments

• CD40110.gif
    CD40110.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 323
This is a link to the data sheet for the CD40110 counter that Carl mentioned. It is a good choice. Attached is a basic drawing showing how you would cascade two of them. The chip will directly drive a 7 segment display. I suggest you read the data sheet to get familiar with the chip.

Right now I have no idea how to do the 5X count as each coin has a value of 5. Hopefully someone will come along with a thought.
My thought would be to use a binary counter set to count to 5 and then stop. The 5 clock pulses would be gated to the CD40110 counter. The drop of a coin could reset the binary counter and count another 5 pulses. The clock pulses for this could be generated by a 555 astable.

i heard that there is a available counter in a single IC .. now i don't if that IC is a bidirectional that i can use in this project .. is anyone there know this thing ? and if i can use that IC for these project .. thanks!

Yes, there are many.
Do you want a BCD or binary count?
Do you want the output to drive a display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back