Could you please direct me toward the good subject ? I think it's algebra...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys !
I'm working so could not go to class this week (but gladly, my other weeks are gonna be rescheduled to fit )

I e-mailed the prof in order to get a homework, if any there was and he sent me this.
Now, I just want to know the right name for this in english please (the course is in french!( so I could go on and study tonight and this week-end.

Looks complicated but I'm sure it's so simple and I want to enjoy doing those maths... and will hopefully find YouTube videos and stuff with the right subject to look for lol

thanks a lot !

This is all about 'indeces'. (plural of index)
I will do the first one;
(1/4)*3 x (1/2)*5.
Recognise that 1/4 is equal to (1/2)*2 (0.5 x 0.5) = 0.25
So we can rewrite 1/4 as (1/2)*2
Then,
(1/4)*3 = ((1/2)*2)*3
This can be written as (1/2)*(2 x 3) = (1/2)*6
So the original expression can be written;
(1/4)*3 x (1/2)*5 = (1/2)*6 x (1/2)*5 = (1/2)*11
This can also be written as;

(1/2)*11 = (1 *11)/ 2(*11) = 1/2(*11) since 1 *11 equals 1; ( 1 to any power is still 1)

Hope this helps.

Yes it does in fact help, thank you very much. I was able to figure it easily but it's all far back in my head.. but I kinda remember the rules with the exponents. I always found the roots to be difficult but I think it will be understandable this time.

At this point, I need to re-learn how to do, for instance, this: (-8,8) & (-3,-5) to y = ax + b
I know it's a slope and it touches the coordinates.
and as I'm writting I'm think, it probably has something to do with "y2-ya1/x2-x1" ?

Roots are simply fractional powers, positive or negative.
I always found drawing the graph if it's simple gives you a better understanding.

Well I thought it was easy but I must be doing something wrong because the third one, ( C ) is quite not what I come up with when looking at the answer.

How can he get to x^10 ?

Hi,

This gets solved from the inside out.
Starting with x^2 in the middle of the whole thing, that gets squared so we get x^4, that times the outside x is x^5.
The inverse of x^5 is x^-5, and the inverse of that is again x^5, and that taken to the second power is (x^5)^2 which is x^10.
The constant comes out to 144 so we get 144*x^10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…