Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

could this be soldered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay i'm in the process of putting together MH light for a buddy of mine for a saltwater reef tank. the end caps for the HQI bulb have screws on it but i don't really trust them.

taking into account that metal halides burn hot as the dickens would solder hold on the end caps? or would it just heat up and fall off the first time the lamp got to running temp?:confused:

if the screws on the end caps got hot enough to melt solder, they would also melt the insulation of most types of wire that could be hooked up to it, which would be a fire hazard - I would be surprised if the screws got that hot.

evandude said:
if the screws on the end caps got hot enough to melt solder, they would also melt the insulation of most types of wire that could be hooked up to it, which would be a fire hazard - I would be surprised if the screws got that hot.

You would normally use high temperature insulation, glass fibre sleeving is usually used, often over butyl rubber insulation on the cable itself. As suggested, they use screw connections on this sort of thing because it can melt solder!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back