Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Could someone please tell me how to wire this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helvete

It's an emergency light and also I don't want the battery to kick in when the power goes so how can I make it so it just turns off?

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Never mind that wire on the left in the last pic

If you need more pics/info feel free to ask, thanks

By what you posted, I would chop out teh battery connection?

how many wires are coming out of the battery pack?

There is wires coming out both sides, 8 white ones on one side

**broken link removed**

and 1 black, grey and red plus 3 white ones on the other

**broken link removed**

That picture is too fuzzy to really see anything.

Anyway I'd completely remove the battery pack and keep it handy for other projects.

How about a clear picture of the diagram on the white box with all the white wires going into it. I'm thinking the red and black are the AC line voltage (where are you located? what is line voltage in your country?) and the green is possibly a safty ground.

What kind of light is this? Flouresent? Halogen? Is the white thing a ballest or battery pack?

Last edited:
I'm in Ireland. So should I just cut all the wires coming from the battery pack then? And how do I wire it up?

Andy1845c said:
How about a clear picture of the diagram on the white box with all the white wires going into it. I'm thinking the red and black are the AC line voltage (where are you located? what is line voltage in your country?) and the green is possibly a safty ground.

What kind of light is this? Flouresent? Halogen? Is the white thing a ballest or battery pack?

It's a flouresent and I think the white thing in it is the batt pack

I can't get a clear picture of the diagram because I'm using my phone buy I might be able to get a camera tomorrow

If its fluorescent, the white thing is probably a ballest. If you cut all the white wires, it won't work anymore. I need a better picture of the diagram on it to see whats what. The pictures that just show colored wires don't help much.

What is this out of? Are you sure there is a battery involved? I have never seen a battery operated fluoresent emergency light.

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

(you'll have to register to look)

Looks like you don't even have the battery. (its the tube shaped thing in the picture.) You have the inverter modual/ballest in the fixture in your picture.

That being the case, just wire it like it was wired when you took it out of where ever it came from. Its not going to turn on on a power out with no battery.

I assume you have the rest of the fixture with the cover and tube holders?

Last edited:
It wasn't installed already I found it in the shed, I don't want it to turn on when the power goes, I'm using it for growing plants which will be on a timer and when the timer turns off the battery will kick in and I don't want that. Yes I have the rest of the fixture

No schematic, no circuit description. no nothing.
Just a bunch of extremely fuzzy pictures.

What is this forum coming to???

From what I can tell, you need to hook the mains up, and a lamp as shown in the drawing you made. The rest can possibly be left unhooked, but I don't know for sure.

The square box is a ballast, not a battery. You need a ballast to provide inital high voltage to start the fluoresent tube and then to limit the current though it.

A small fluoresent fixture isn't that expensive new here in the US. If this was found in a shed, it may or may not work. Ballast degrade with time.
Using this with all the extra wires is going to be more complicated then just buying a new fixture with wireing instructions. That goes double for someone with limited experiance in electronics and electricity.

Also, even with the battery, if its wired correctly it won't come on when the switch is turned off. There should be an extra wire to control the battery backup. You can't have the batterys draining when somone simply turns the switch off.

Last edited:
The lamp is already connected to it so all I need do is hook up the mains? I'll try that and I don't want it to stay on when the power goes either. I'll try it later and post back the results

I wired it up but it isn't working. When I plug it in I hear two clicks coming from the ballest and then nothing happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back