Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Could anyone Identify this component? - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabharish

As I am a beginner I dont know what is the component in the image below. Please tell me the component and the function of it:confused:

**broken link removed**

Thanks!
sabharish

Last edited:
it's a crystal. it probably runs a clock or timer.

It's a 49.860 MHz crystal. Unfortunately I cannot tell you what the load capacitance, accuracy (Parts Per Million) and ESR are. You also need to know which harmonic it operates at. That's the problem with crystals. You can buy them at Mouser.com, Digikey and most online shops. I guess that this one is used in a transmitter or receiver.

Yes, its used in a Transmitter. Are these crystals responsible for producing the radio wave(i.e Transmit the Radio wave)??

Crystals are used as they are quite accurate. In a transmitter the crystal is often used in modern circuitry to drive a Phase Locked Loop (PLL). This is a kind of multiplier used to "up" the frequency. To answer your question, the easiest method of transmitting is using On Off Keying (OOK). Basically once you have defined your RF operating frequency you simply transmit bursts of the carrier at specified periods. One period for a logic 1 and another for a logic 0. Problem with this method is that it is very noisy and has many harmonics. FSK (Frequency Shift Keying) is another method. You have your fundamental frequency - say 868 MHz. By "pulling" the frequency in one direction by a few KHz you transmit a logic 1 and by "pulling" the frequency in the opposite direction you transmit a logic 0. So in essence your (center frequency + deviation) is one state and (center frequency - deviation) the other. It becomes interesting when trying to extract the data on the receiving side. There are other methods of transmission but they are more complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back