Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Costa Concordia is being slowly raised..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
Hi Guys

After all the drama and the Parbuckling success...she is slowly being re floated. To take her off the base she has been sitting on.

Started today around 6 AM. Captain Nick Sloane in charge as always:):):):)
This South African makes me so proud my heart could burst.

What a Guy. What a challenge. What responsibility....if it goes wrong....he will be blamed as Salvage Master...

What a PRO......nobody out there would even attempt this...and he has. He knows his stuff. It will all end well.

Regards,
tvtech

Latest: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...to-assist-wrecked-costa-concordia-out-to-sea/

Regards,
tvtech

Thinking about writing a Novel.

My experiences here in South Africa and all :)

I might call it "The big and bad and all".....Still working on it :joyful::joyful:.

Sorry for stuffing anyone around...Man ...I am tired of helping those that cannot help themselves...like....take the bloody TV to your OWN people...let them fix it...

No. End of story. They want it repaired HERE. And I am over the Wall. So much work I can literally S..T myself....

Back to basics for me now

I have to always remember to clean up behind me in order to go forward....

I have been doing this for long enough to know.....the Money forward is good...but what about stuff waiting....to keep things good you must keep your back clean....

In order to go forward...first clean behind you.....

And I am trying to explain stuff here. Many will not get it.

Maybe Nigel will...understand.

I am probably the oldest surviving Contract tvtech in History here. I know I have survived all that started with me and more...

Anyway, I must go

tvtech

Last edited:
Hi,

Quite an amazing feat of engineering. They had to flip it a little first, which was a feat in itself as it's a pretty big object to be handling that way. When i saw it laying there for the first time, i thought they would have to cut it up to remove it. But they finally figured out a way to avoid that...very good.

Now they have to work on preventing these kinds of tragedies in the first place so they dont need magnificent feats of engineering :)

Live Webcam here:
**broken link removed**

and here:
**broken link removed**

She is ready to move Tomorrow morning 22 July 2014...

Hope the weather is good. May all go well and according to plan. Salvage Master Captain Nick Sloane hands the reigns over to Captain Hans Bosch who will be ultimately responsible for taking this stinking wreck and it's 14 support vessels to it's final resting ground...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...ver-role-in-costa-concordia-salvage-1.1872385

I hope all goes well.

Regards,
tvtech

This ship is the biggest and most expensive salvage in History....unprecedented for pure size and work that needed to be done...

Nobody knew if it would work...500 divers/Engineers/marine architects..and more. A gathering of the best. In one place.
Nothing was a "known factor". Anything could go wrong.

So far so good...as in Nick Sloanes own words: " Plan for the worst...and then you can deal with issues"

And to think that a South African is in charge of all this makes me so proud......the fall Guy too if all goes pear shaped...as Salvage Master.
A hired "gun" by Rich Habib at Titan. Rich passed the responsibility onto Nick. Nick took the lead...all or nothing..

So, the whole World sits and waits, till Tomorrow morning. When Giglio is finally rid of the Costa Concordia eyesore.

Regards,
tvtech

And she is there. To be broken up.
She made it safely to her final destination.

All I know is that if you put Professionals in charge of things...you pay big Moola...but you get results.
Moola is not a tit or bird of any kind. It's a money thing...

Costa Lot kind of thing. With a successful outcome and happy days for all. Biggest and most complicated salvage operation in history has been a huge success.

Nick Sloane as Salvage Master said he would accompany the Costa Concordia all the way to her final resting place....done and dusted.

With a team of 500 Pro's behind him....who listen and know their stuff.....he did an awesome job of leading...and keeping them happy...

Pro's fight easily. Many different languages...many possible misunderstandings....so much at stake...

In spite of all the challenges....they pulled it off. Amazing stuff. For the record books.

Regards,
tvtech

I hope you can post pictures during the salvage now that the glamour is gone. The enormity of the project is hard to visualize. In the US, a semi truck can carry about 22 tons. This project is over 5000 truck loads. I thought it would be going to dry dock, but apparently not. Once the superstructure is gone, how will the rest be salvaged?

Please keep us posted.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back