Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cordless Stungun

Status
Not open for further replies.

tansis

It hits the victim with two darts that trail current-carrying wires, which limit its range to a maximum of seven metres. As a single shot, short-range weapon, the Taser is of little use in crowd control. And Tasers have no effect on vehicles.

These limitations are beginning to be overcome. Engineers working for the US Department of Defense's research division, DARPA, and defence companies in Europe have been working out how to create an electrically conductive path between a gun and a target without using wires.

Human rights groups are appalled by the fact that no independent safety tests have been carried out, and by their potential for indiscriminate use

Meanwhile, Xtreme Alternative Defense Systems (XADS), based in Anderson, Indiana, will be one of the first companies to market another type of wireless weapon. Instead of using fibres, the $9000 Close Quarters Shock Rifle projects an ionised gas, or plasma, towards the target, producing a conducting channel. It will also interfere with electronic ignition systems and stop vehicles.

"We will be able to fire a stream of electricity like water out of a hose at one or many targets in a single sweep," claims XADS president Peter Bitar.

The gun has been designed for the US Marine Corps to use for crowd control and security purposes and is due out in 2005. It is based on early, unwieldy technology and has a range of only three metres, but an operator can debilitate multiple targets by sweeping it across them for "as long as there is an input power source," says Bitar.

XADS is also planning a more advanced weapon which it hopes will have a range of 100 metres or more. Instead of firing ionised gas, it will probably use a powerful laser to ionise the air itself. The idea has been around for decades, says LaVerne Schlie, a laser expert at the US Air Force Research Lab in Kirtland, New Mexico. It has only become practical with advances in high-power solid-state lasers.

grrr, why are the yanks always the first to do these things :cry:

maybe its because everyone else sees that it won't work :lol:

"grrr, why are the yanks always the first to do these things "

Because the Yanks are the Most Agressive Nation in th world. They Just Won't admit it.

Here's an idea. Probably not very practicle, but....

Fire the capacitor! Make it a dart gun, but the needle is a split electrode (or two needles).

Anyway. That's probably pretty stupid. I know for a fact that you can zap people by firing a fire extinguisher through a tesla coil. Not sure how effective it is, but i heard that it can be done.

Most americans are nice, but they have a dickhead for a leader.

Nigel Goodwin said:
vaineo said:
I can see theres a lot of ppl posting from areas other than the USA here.
True! - but I won't blame you for Bush, if you don't blame me for Blair :lol:

In the same vein, I can't be held responsible for Little Johnny (Howard) :p

This is tecnology Nicola Tesla was working with even before the 20th century...It sounds like a particle weapon, and or ray gun to me!...Holy Hell!!...BTW even though these devices subdue people who are aggresive..well that is the intended purpose..But Tasers have been known to also kill, as in inducing heart attacks... They need to learn first how to control the current..Now they think up wireless Tasers...What A world! :?

coyotesden said:
This is tecnology Nicola Tesla was working with even before the 20th century...It sounds like a particle weapon, and or ray gun to me!...Holy Hell!!...BTW even though these devices subdue people who are aggresive..well that is the intended purpose..But Tasers have been known to also kill, as in inducing heart attacks... They need to learn first how to control the current..Now they think up wireless Tasers...What A world! :?

That's always the problem, different people react differently to electrical shocks - some it might kill, some it might stun, and some it might not affect at all.

There's a police video clip that's been shown a few times on TV (from Australia or new Zealand - I can't remember which). It shows a man in the street with a katana (samurai sword), and he refuses to put it down. They taser him multiple times, with no affect, apart from a slight twitching, eventually they use a fire engine hose to push him over and against a wall.

Nigel Goodwin said:
There's a police video clip that's been shown a few times on TV (from Australia or new Zealand - I can't remember which). It shows a man in the street with a katana (samurai sword), and he refuses to put it down. They taser him multiple times, with no affect, apart from a slight twitching, eventually they use a fire engine hose to push him over and against a wall.
I think I saw that!! It was on 'Tarant on TV' or something like that...

Electronic have brought us some wonderful things...Example, enjoyment..Such as TV's, DVD players, stereo systems And computers...Why must we use this technology to harm others...I can understand if there is a riot that is out of control, but why have riots in the first place..What because Five assclowns in a crowd decide thier going to get out of control and get violent..And like a bunch of sheep the rest have to join the party?!...There is no need for this! We should take a good hard look at reality and realize there is enough damage bieng done in the world!...We do not need more weapons!...There are enough to go around!...Stun guns, Tasers included!!...And if it is a one on one fight, example, somone wanting to punch you out?...use your fist, because picking up any weapon is for pussys, unless they have a weapon!...I guess I said enough!?

-Coyote

coyotesden: pacifism is good, to a point. I see your point, and agree that the world does have enough problems already.

However, picture this: you go to a football (or whatever) match, and your team win. The opposing team decide to take it out on you and your fellow supporters. Violently. I don't think you are going to stand up and ask them to politely stop - you are going to hope the police get there as quickly as possible, and sort out the opposing fans, using whatever methods necessary to protect innocent people like you.

Thats what I imagine would happen anyway.

coyotesden said:
And if it is a one on one fight, example, somone wanting to punch you out?...use your fist, because picking up any weapon is for pussys, unless they have a weapon!...I guess I said enough!?

Self defence is exactly that, it's defending 'yourself' - any weapon which comes to hand that increases your survival chances is a perfectly acceptable option!.

Self defence isn't 'nice', you don't conform to 'rules', it's simply about survival! - this is greatly enhanced by causing the maximum damage with the least personal danger to yourself.

If you want to have nice little 'one on one fights', try taking up boxing or karate sparring as a hobby - but it's got no place in real life situations.

But even better! - first rule of self defence! - DON'T BE THERE!!.

Remarkable, I do not recall the previous other postings regarding
Stun Guns/ Shock Boxes/ and other high voltage tomfoolery creating
such passionate debate amongst the members of this forum.

Not even Evgenij Vasiljev with his Gauss pistol [Pskov 1100]
caused much of a stir...
must have a return to his site, the rifle should be finished by now.
Not because I have an interest in firearms, merely electronics.

Perhaps a more constructive use of members time would be spent
devising a defence against such a device for personal or automotive use,

but there's the catch...a defense would be open to misuse.

tansis said:
but there's the catch...a defense would be open to misuse.
and so someone would develop a way of countering this misuse, and then this counter-defence would be misused, and so on. Its a viscous circle.

This having been said, some of the greatest technological leaps have come from war - one country trying to get the advantage over the other. Plate tectonics theory was proved (accidentally) by spying devices planted by the yanks in the cold war.

Maybe we'll just have to put up with it - learn to appreciate the benefits that come from all this. It is a bit of a shame though...

P.S. i did once see this much moral discussion in a post about a stun gun... I think this was it - i'm not sure https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/pic16f84a-interface-with-msm6242brs-pls-help-me.6430/

Yes I can see that point as well...But! Alot of the time inocent people get injured, and not from other spectators at the sporting event...But from the police fireing tear gas and tasers...People fleeing in panic are Alot of the time deemed as violent from an officers POV!! Espesialy in large numbers!

stun guns

All I have to say about that is "IF" I got stunned mistakenly that officer had better hope to kill me or knock me unconscious because when I get back up theres gonna be a large amount of pain involved on his part. as for the cordless stun gun it seems like a fair enough device to use for self defence. I know many people who wish they could carry around a device such as this without having to pay $39.95 per shot! The air tasers that you can buy right now are usually expensive as it is and only come with a single shot every extra shot is as stated earlier $39.95 and they can only be used once!
One more thing Bush may suck but I'd rather have bush who supports our troops than kerry who didn't even want our troops to have body armor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back