Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Copper Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicksydney

Hi,

I've been reading the following instructables https://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a-Simple-Induction-Coil/?ALLSTEPS for making simple induction coil and I was wondering are there any difference between the enameled copper wire used in that instructable and the one that I find on eBay

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I'm not that familiar with copper wire but from the newbie point of view both of the items on eBay mentioned it's copper wire, should it work if I use those ?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

hi,
Those two wires from eBay are not suitable.

Enamelled copper wire uses the enamel as the insulation for the wire, so that adjacent wires in contact are not a short circuit.

look here for an example.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I would never use "jewelry wire" as electrical wire.
When I built my FM transmitter I "stole" a few cm of enamelled copper wire from a crossover coil in a 2-way speaker. The speaker did not notice since its coil had many meters of wire.

The instructable shows photos of an extremely simple and very poor quality mono FM transmitter. It shows no schematic but since it has only 1 transistor then it is the same as hundreds of other simple FM transmitters on the internet.

EDIT: The author "burns off" the enamel at the ends of the coil with a huge soldering iron that gets much too hot for soldering. My temperature controlled soldering iron burns nothing but solders very well.
I removed the enamel from the ends of my coils by scraping with an exacto knife and with sandpaper.

Last edited:
there are two basic types of enamel used on magnet wire, the regular enamel, which carbonizes when you heat it, and makes an oxide layer on the wire that won't take solder, and another enamel that goes by trade names like "thermo-strip", which when heated to soldering temperatures, peels off of the copper wire, leaving bare copper. when making coils in a factory, the wire ends are dipped in a solder pot which strips the enamel off and tins the wire in one quick easy step.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back