Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

converting vacuum tubes to now a days parts??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerwilco

Hey,

I'm working on a Circuits project of a 1950s amp for a ami jukebox and i was wondering if it was possible to convert high voltage 6L6G and 5U4G vacuum tubes to
a new circuit using now a days parts??? If so what would that Circuit look like?

Thanks for your time

You simply throw the amplifier out, and replace it with a modern transistor one.

If you want to use the old valve gear, then buy the old valves - there's no replacements.

convert vacuum tubes

I'm working on a Circuits project of a 1950s amp for a ami jukebox and i was wondering if it was possible to convert high voltage 6L6G and 5U4G vacuum tubes to
a new circuit using now a days parts??? If so what would that Circuit look like?

Attachments

• dvg.png
    dvg.png
    376.4 KB · Views: 258
rogerwilco

You have the obvious sensible answer here.

Just to re-itterate what Nigel said:

You replace the complete amplifier, there is no simple way to replace the valves with semiconductors, just replace the amplifier, or repair it.

So, why have you got 3 other posts scattered across the board?
Just because you dont like the answer, dont keep asking the question, it wont make the answer any different.

overandout

JimB

Converting the 5U4 using a pair of 1N4007 diodes should work for your application. There are also plenty of tube base adapters for the 5U4 ready made. However, the 6L6 is another story. It's pretty much like Nigel suggested. Either replace the valves or replace the amp with a solid state amplifier.

Ron

I used that 5U4 trick too (long ago) since the 5U4 is a full-wave rectifier...

Regards Gents', Mike...

The semiconductor diodes have a significantly lower forward drop then the tube, so the DC output voltage will be noticeably higher. The may or may not be a problem in the amplifier circuit.

The semiconductor diodes have a significantly lower forward drop then the tube, so the DC output voltage will be noticeably higher. The may or may not be a problem in the amplifier circuit.

You add a series resistor with each diode, a nice wirewound one - I used to do the same thing decades back for replacing metal rectifiers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back