Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

converting to 12 volt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jace33

Ok am going to go with this quiz circuit but would like to convert it to 6 players and would like to add a buzzer and replace the led with 12 volt lights can anyone help me on how to go about this.

thanks

Attachments

• quiz.gif
    quiz.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 139
Well 4000 series CMOS will work with 12 volts, that's not the problem. Lamps typically require more current than LEDs. I seriously doubt you could get a 4000 series part to drive a lamp directly. A transistor driver would solve that problem.

Lamps also get cranky when you hit a cold filament with a surge of current. You might want to consider keeping the filaments warm but not illuminated.

Last problem. You want to expand the circuit from four buttons to six buttons. Some of the lines on your schematic are invisible so I can only guess at what you are trying to do. A RESET clears(set) the D flip-flops so that all the LEDs(lamps) are off. The first switch to be depressed sets(clears) its associated flip-flop AND locks out all the other flip-flops. This can be represented by a straight forward set of boolean equations which I leave you to work out.

Convert 4-input Quiz Circuit to 6-inputs:
1) Add two quarters of a 4081 for the two additional inputs.
2) Add another 4013.
3) Replace the 4082 with a 6-input AND gate.
4) Replace each LED with the the gate of an N-channel power Mosfet. The light bulb connects between its drain and the positive supply.
5) A buzzer can be driven by an N-channel Mosfet with its gate connected to the output of the 6-input AND gate.
That's all.

ok the 12 volt lights are only the type you find on the back of car trailers they are round i have made two rectange boxes up each with three of these cheap car trailer lights and three buttons on them just need to know what to get etc.. to convert to 12 volt as i rather use the 12 volt lights instead of led because i will be using this kit for triva nights and the 12 volt trailer lights will stand out more then 6 little led lights.

The Cmos ICs and Mosfet light drivers work fine with a 12V supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back