Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting servos into motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyma said:
Is it possibel to change a servo so that it goes round and round 360 degrees like a motor?

Yes, it's a very common modification for small robots to use servos as the drive motors. If you do a google search for 'servo motor modification' you get loads of hits!.

Re. Converting servos into motors

Hi,

Yes, I've done this. One thing to be careful of, is always remember to test the motors when converted, to ensure they are "balanced" (i.e. both stop at the same pulse width setting). I found out the hard way that this usually isn't the case, and you have to balance them out by adding a small parallel resistor across one side of the errant motor to solve this problem.

Another thing to watch out for is to not pull the motor out of the gears, as they are a pain to put back without damaging the gears/contaminating the grease. This is especially important with the small "aircraft" micro-servos often used in models.

Yours,
-Andre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back