Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting Optical Output to 1v P to P ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi to all, :confused:

My son has an X-Box that has an optical output that is capable of surround sound 5.1 or 6.1, and a computer speaker system that has only one input which is 3 sets of stereo 3.5mm jacks. (its a creative labs one)

We were trying to connect the X-Box through the computer which has an Optical Input, but when we do the sound suffers about a seconds lag! I assume this is something to do with the PCs card processing method. We even bought another type of sound card and got the same result!

So I was wondering if anyone knows of a device we could buy or even construct that would convert the optical output from the X-Box to an input the speaker system could understand - that is a demuxed set of 1v peak to peak signals. 6 or 7 in all. Then I could simply build a switch box to change from PC input to X-Box input, that would be the easy bit! ;)

Anyone with any ideas at all please feel free to suggest them no matter how complicated or expensive they are within reason anyway.

Thanks for looking.................Al

Buy a proper surround sound system if you want to do this! - it's by no means a trival project, you would have to program complicated custom hardware, and you probably couldn't even buy the custom chips required as they are licenced by Dolby?.

Assuming you're prepared to spend many months (years?) learning and performing the programming?, and can source the licenced chips?, be prepared to spend around 5 to 10 times what a ready made unit costs!.

I agree with Nigel. By far the most economical off-the-shelf "converter box" is a low cost stereo and building something yourself is just not practical. Many of the cheap micro component music systems nowadays have optical inputs and you can choose to drive the speakers directly, or feed the outputs (if line outputs available on rear panel, check that too) to your other amplifier.

converting-further info

Hi Nigel and Ron,

I am quite happy to buy a cheapo box, but I need one that can run with the original sound system and speakers.

My lad is very happy with the sound of the system as is and has tried many other systems (even the newer creative ones) and none are anywhere near as good, they seem to all have dropped in quality now!

What he is trying to acheive is keeping his system and speakers as is, so if any item would interface with them and do the job, let me know.

We have looked at new options from creative as I said, and have tried to source something else, unfortunately not everyones site is as informative as others, some don't mention what inputs and outputs they have and others will say one thing and when you actually get the goods in your hands you find it doesn't do what they said.

So if you do know of any makes or models, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking and replying...............Al :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back