Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting an infrared receiver signals to I2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh_Lavi

Hello All
I need to build receiver that will receive signals from remote control in RC5 standard and convert the signals to an I2C bus.
I've seen 2 IC's on the web that are doing this but I cannot find them anywhere. The IC's are: RAA28 and LPC28.
Dose anyone know where can I find those IC's or a good substitute?
Alternatively, can anyone have any suggestion how to build this receiver with
other components?
Thank you

Thank you Nigel for your reply.
I need to remotely control a controller that has already operating panels. Those panel are connected to the controller with an I2c bus. I need to add another node on the I2C bus to be able to control the controller with remote control.
I hope that you can understand what I tried to explain.

Not really no?, you can't just add things at random on an I2C bus, the entire system has to be designed specifically to control, or be controlled by, any specific node.

Assuming it is so designed?, you need EXACTLY the correct device to connect to it.

To expand on Nigel's remarks, IR remote signaling and I2C are really not interchangeable things. An IR transmitter (the Remote Control) is a "spray and pray" device. It sends a signal out into the ether hoping there is a receiver within range that can receive an act upon those signals. There is no confirmation, there is no feedback, there is no guarantee of reliable delivery.

I2C on the other hand is a two way data exchange protocol. It uses the Master/Slave paradigm in which a master device knows about the existance of, and the network address of, and the data echange format of, each of the devices on its network. There is no methodology that I'm aware of that would allow a foreign node to be attached to an I2C bus and be plug and play.

It is conceivable that you could implement a device that would function as a second master, but that opens up a whole host of problems that I'm quite sure you are unprepared to deal with.

OK. It is seems like I've managed to confuse you all. The receiver is going to be connected as a slave in the I2C bus with its own address and will be recognized by the master. The only difference between this receiver and the existing panels that are already connected to the I2C bus is that the command to the controller will not be sent by pressing a button on the panel but by signal that was sent from the remote control and was converted by the receiver from RC5 to I2C protocol. As I mentioned in my original question, I've found 2 IC's that doing this conversion (RAA28, LPC28) but couldn't find them. So I need suggestions on how to build this receiver with other IC's that will receive RC5 signals from the remote control in one end and sends the signals as I2C in the other end.

Like I said in the first place, program a PIC to do the job - but I still suspect you don't really seem to understand what you're trying to do?. Unless of course you programmed and built the entire system, and have access to it's source code?.

Yes, I have access to the source code and I know which codes I need to use.
Can you please be more specific about which PIC's I should use?

Sh_Lavi said:
Yes, I have access to the source code and I know which codes I need to use.
Can you please be more specific about which PIC's I should use?

As you're wanting I2C slave, you should choose one with I2C in hardware. I2C master is simple in software only, but for slave you really require hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back