Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

converting an ATX power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

avz

Hi
I have an old ATX power supply and I would like to increase the output voltage from 12V to 14V. I hope that someone can give me an advice how to do it. I know that there are differences between one ps to another but principly they are quite alike since most of them has the tl494 built into them and I believe that it can be done by changing the value of a component.
Thanks for your help.

it is possible but not a question that can be answered since everyone it different and unless Nigel says otherwise, I have to assume that you can not get schematics for a $30 retail replacement part since it would cost more to repair than to replace and requires special attention to trouble shoot the fatal power levels internal to the case.

I am assuming you want to use only the 12V output, this is likely to not work or not work well for numerous reasons.
It is also assumed you want to use it for testing only.

You will need to know what you are doing to attempt this.
Also as Ubergeek' mentions high voltage troubleshooting likely. (PC power supplies have a voltage doubler on the input for 110Vac operation & this generates nom. 350V DC !!!≥ )

The 12V is not the main regulated output for the power supply !
The feedback of output voltage is on the 5V output.

To increase Vout you would have to change the Vout sense resistor (or resistor divider) for the regulated output 5V(/3.3V) by 17% (12 --> 14V =17%) to give 5.75V , this may encroach on the OVP (Over Voltage Protect).
(some PC switchers have a pot where the output can be trimmed, so you might be able to get some increase in Vout here)
Modern PC switchers usually have close coupled output inductors (all on same core) this improves regulation of outputs & might enable some limited success for test use only.

You need to first identify the Vout feeback isolation transformer or optocoupler & then draw out the circuit for the Vout sense section & identify the Vouit sense divider. Then calculate the change required to the Resistor divider.
As with all power supplies you have to derate the output current rating by the % increase in output volts.

since most of them has the tl494 built into them

There is a trend these days to use current mode forward converter & many PC supplies have UC384x controllers.

A more sensible approach would be to place a DC-DC stepup converter on the 5V output to generate 14V.

TG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back