Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting a 5v ps to 12v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavi Mike

I have a 5V 65A power supply kicking around from an old audio/video editing lab that I really don't want to throw out but, I have absolutely no use for it. Is it feasible to rewind the transformers and get some new power transistors to get 12v out of it or is that really just a waste of time?

I'm not kidding about the 65A part, it weighs about 60-80lbs.

The quick answer is... ...yes, probably.

How is the transformer built?
Is it easy to take apart?
Has it been vacuum varnished? if yes, forget it.

Depending on the regulator circuit, the existing transistors may be OK and you just need to change a zener diode and/or a few feedback resistors.

JimB

It's very easy to take apart, very old-school tech, all user-serviceable parts. It's been quite a few years since I've had it apart but I don't think the transormers have been varnished. I'll snap some pictures of it when I get home, maybe it will give you a better idea if it's worth messing with.

You may get lucky if it uses a center tapped winding and only 2 diodes for fullwave rectification. If so, you may have enough voltage headroom to convert it to a fullwave bridge rectifier and ignore the center tap.
You could also try changing the rectifier circuit to a **broken link removed**. It depends on what the loaded VRMS of the windings are for the transformer and thus how much voltage they are wasting in the pass transistors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back