Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Convert Parallel programmer to Serial

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends on the programmer? what chips you're programming etc... some use the parallel lines of the parallel port (D7-D0) others just bit bang the lines. So if your programmer only uses <8 lines, you may be able to write software to do the same thing with the serial port. Or.....just buy a USB - > parallel port adapter ^^

Blueteeth

Blueteeth said:
depends on the programmer? what chips you're programming etc... some use the parallel lines of the parallel port (D7-D0) others just bit bang the lines. So if your programmer only uses <8 lines, you may be able to write software to do the same thing with the serial port. Or.....just buy a USB - > parallel port adapter ^^

Most such adaptors wouldn't work, due to the completely non-standard way a programmer works.

However, he's not even mentioned what devices he's wanting to program?, or what programmer he has?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Most such adaptors wouldn't work, due to the completely non-standard way a programmer works.

Most of what I have looked at just pump data in/out RB6&7.

However said:
What I do have is an old Dontronics DT001(www.dontronics.com) (bought quite a while back but got too busy to play with it), it's a programmer and testbed type unit based on
SimmSticks, I have a couple of sticks, one with led's and pushbuttons, one made for use with 16f84a (or similar) and a 40 pin stick.
I thought I would use this to get started and pickup something else (looking at Junebug and Inchworm). Since I had this I thought I would give it a go, but also thought it might be able to run via rs232 with a little mod. I'm still reading a bit about the old/new chips.

Tnx.

binzer said:
Most of what I have looked at just pump data in/out RB6&7.

That's a rather hopeful assessment! :D

What I do have is an old Dontronics DT001(www.dontronics.com) (bought quite a while back but got too busy to play with it), it's a programmer and testbed type unit based on
SimmSticks, I have a couple of sticks, one with led's and pushbuttons, one made for use with 16f84a (or similar) and a 40 pin stick.
I thought I would use this to get started and pickup something else (looking at Junebug and Inchworm). Since I had this I thought I would give it a go, but also thought it might be able to run via rs232 with a little mod. I'm still reading a bit about the old/new chips.

The DT001 is a David Tait type parallel port programmer, it would require considerable changes to use from a serial port.

What computer do you have that has a serial port and no parallel port?.

Nigel Goodwin said:

The DT001 is a David Tait type parallel port programmer, it would require considerable changes to use from a serial port.

Well my new computer has neither, only usb:mad:
I do have an older machine with both and did get it setup for doing the job.:)
For me something serial would be a bit more portable as the machines I have available at work do not have a parallel port, think they have one serial and many usb. I sometimes have a bit of 'downtime' at work and would get a chance to 'play'.

binzer said:
Well my new computer has neither, only usb:mad:
I do have an older machine with both and did get it setup for doing the job.:)
For me something serial would be a bit more portable as the machines I have available at work do not have a parallel port, think they have one serial and many usb. I sometimes have a bit of 'downtime' at work and would get a chance to 'play'.

It would unusual to have serial and not parallel?, usually both are dropped in favour of USB.

I would suggest you buy a Junebug (or actual PICKit 2), and run from USB instead. As you're wanting 'portable' a real PICKit2 might be better for you?.

Nigel Goodwin said:

I am trying to use what I have available for right now, (low budget).
I did setup an old dell P3 with XP and Mplab, it does have a parallel, serial,usb, and
hopefully enough memory to use for this. I did buy the Dontronics stuff quite a while back
but just got too busy to play with it, I used to do quite a bit of this type stuff at my old job
(eng tech), my new job is like plug&play except for the diag part so I want to get back into
doing some electronics on the side. I am looking at the Junebug and Inchworm, any others
I should look at?? I am also thinking of trying this under Linux, but Mplab and some of the
other programs seem very good!

TIA.

binzer said:
I am trying to use what I have available for right now, (low budget).
I did setup an old dell P3 with XP and Mplab, it does have a parallel, serial,usb, and
hopefully enough memory to use for this. I did buy the Dontronics stuff quite a while back

Yes, I've still got all the SIMMStick stuff, bit old now, me and Don used to email multiple times daily, and he made suggestions and beta tested PicProg for me.

but just got too busy to play with it, I used to do quite a bit of this type stuff at my old job
(eng tech), my new job is like plug&play except for the diag part so I want to get back into
doing some electronics on the side. I am looking at the Junebug and Inchworm, any others
I should look at?? I am also thinking of trying this under Linux, but Mplab and some of the
other programs seem very good!

Linux is hard because there's very little PIC support, and no official support at all.

blueroomelectronics said:
There are many, but the Junebug is mine :)

Looking closely at this, think this it,did you get my PM?

There is a little Linux support but the best tools are still using XP. The PICkit2 or Junebug have better Linux support than the ICD2 / Inchworm.
A PICkit2 / Linux fan site.
https://mcuee.blogspot.com/

Bummer. I have been using Linux only for about 4 years for my desktop. I did notice that most of the pic tools run under XP, thats ok, I can do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back