Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

convert inverter to sine wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

raykos

Hi all,

Would like to have a DC to AC inverter, and was wondering if it would be easier to buy an modified sine wave inverter, in the 500-1000W range, and then convert/modify it to output a pure sine wave for home use? Or, would it be better to build a pure sine wave inverter from scratch, and if so, could anyone please direct me to any schematics or DIY's?

I've tried searching the web, but I must be doing something wrong, most of the inverter schematics I find are of the type modified sine waves or only manufacturer's of sine wave inverters.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,
Ray

A pure sine-wave inverter is too complicated for you to make. Buy one.

I question the need for a pure sine output. The vast majority of household loads will operate fine with an approximate sinusoid and many will operate fine from a square wave. Also, a line isolation transformer will work well to smooth out a less than ideal waveshape. In fact, many purchased inverters provide output from a transformer fed with a square wave generated from switching FETs or BJTs on and off.

The peak voltage of a sine-wave is 1.414 times higher than its RMS voltage.
But the peak voltage of a square-wave that has the same power as a sine-wave is much lower. Its peak voltage is 0.707 times the peak voltage of a sine-wave.
So many electronic products that depend on the higher peak voltage WILL NOT WORK.
Power tools with an electronic speed control also will not work from a square-wave.

Square-waves are used for heaters and incandescent light (heaters).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back