Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

conversion of 0-1v to 4-20 mA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pallavi...

hi.. i wanted to know how to design a signal conditioning ckt for conversion of 0-1 v to 4-20mA.
if anyone have the ckt plz tell me.

Here is a possible solution using only conventional components:

Use an opamp - as an adder. Remember that the current through the feedback resistor will be the sum of the current through the input resistors.

Having t.ex this adder circuit:
**broken link removed**
Then say all resistors is equal to 1kΩ, just for easy.

Step1:
You wish to start with 4mA. That means we have to make it go 4mA through the second input resistor. Putting 4 volts as V2 will solve that. You can of course change values of both V2 and R2 as long as it flows 4mA through R2.

Step2:
You need to know how much input current through R1 that will give 20mA out. Easy - as said before, output current is sum of input currents. You already have 4mA now, so that means you have to get the others 16mA's from current through R1:
So - When you put 1 volt over R1, there should go 16mA through it. Ohms law then give resistor value to be R1 = 1V/16mA = 62,5Ω. You will need that exact value. Using E12 resistors that is 68Ω||820Ω||15kΩ or simply use a potmeter.

Step3:
You can remove the Rf resistor. The current you wanted will now go through any resistor (or cable) that you put in place of Rf.

hi.. i wanted to know how to design a signal conditioning ckt for conversion of 0-1 v to 4-20mA.
if anyone have the ckt plz tell me.

However you implement it. . .4 is 1/5 of 20 so you can level shift and amplify the input voltage such that the low voltage is 1/5 of the high voltage.

1v and 5v are convenient levels that meet this 5:1 ratio requirement. A level shift of 1v and a 5v/20mA = 250Ω resistor completes one version of this design.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back