Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling small AC switches with a DC circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riccarr

Hello,

I'm working on an automation system for my hobby model train system, n-scale.

I have developed a Arduino based circuit that uses IR sensors and shift registers to detect train position and then uses an h-bridge circuit to send forward/reverse DC power to throw track switches (turnouts) to divert the train down one track or another based on the Arduino programming.

My issue that I want to solve involves some of the track switches which are actually AC based, 3 wire electric switches. I'm not sure how to integrate these into my DC based system.

I know you don't know anything of my system, but at its basics, I can control numerous sets (pairs) of DC +/- wires going to each of the DC switches/turnouts, and I can reverse the DC polarity on those pairs of wires so as to throw a switch in forward or reverse.

Now the AC switches are 3 wired. Here is a link to a installation instruction picture which will give a good understand of how they are wired; mine are just like this. The real information is the wiring diagram at the bottom.

http://www.nscalesupply.com/atl/ATL-65.html

The control switches are those buttons on the "switch control box", which are sliders, left/right and press to activate the power. So the slider buttons are control direction. You'll notice they are powered from the AC power pack via 2 wires.
This further confuses me because I thought AC was "alternating" current, so I didn't think a motor could be made to spin opposite direction by flipping the wires around, like a DC circuit would.

Nevertheless ... how might I deal with these 3-wire AC switches in my DC based system, which uses h-bridge design to reverse DC power?

Ideally I would like to just expand on my DC h-bridge controlled DC power and send that to the AC switches. Might this work if wired properly?

How would 2-wire DC be wired to those 3-wire AC switches?

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to any input or comments.

Cheers,
Eric

It looks as though your switch machines have 1 wire to push out, one wire to retract, and a common. They might work using DC, you'll just have to try it - just stick with the same wiring scheme - the voltage probably won't be the same as for AC though. Depends what they are using to drive the pushy-pulley bit. It would be better though to use relays or opto-isolators. It shouldn't be hard to arrange that the polarity of your controlling signal switches 1 relay/isolator or the other. In fact, with opto isolators, if the LED has a high enough reverse voltage, you won't need any extra components, just connect a pair with opposite polarity inputs to each pair of control wires.

Hope I've understood your question correctly and not just written a load of rubbish!

The switch control box has an AC input, but may have DC outputs. Can you check with a multimeter?

hey guys ...

throbscottle ... though I'm not for sure clear on what your getting at, I believe I am already doing what your suggesting. I didn't give much details on my circuit so I broken down and finally completed by Fritz design of the circuit. Warning... its has mucho wires. ;)

Alec ... I checked with multimeter, the power in/out of the switch controllers is AC.

Here's the Fritz design: https://fritzing.org/projects/train-track-and-turnout-control-system/

If you can take a look, I put on a little servo meant to represent the 3 wire AC motor. How the heck can I get one of those as part of the system. I tried running some straight DC power to the AC turnout motor and I didn't get any movement, though I wasn't completely sure which 2 of the 3 to give DC power to. I checked the AC power from my track power control module (that powers the AC switches) and it gives out 17 AC volts to those little switches; I was surprised so much and they don't fry.

If I have to add a separate AC power source into this design, how might it be possible to integrate that into the controlling approach of the opto couplers, one for each motor. Also, I am not designing this for a specific layout, this is meant to be customizeable, so what I rather not do is anchor specific opto to specific AC or DC motors. But in the end if I have not other option then I may have settle for a design to allocates a portion to AC and a portion to DC. Still the same questions ... how to add the AC into the system. Remember ... only one motor switch needs to be powered at a time.

Thanks for reading; I hope the design doesn't freak anyone out, its a bit hairy, I know.

Cheers!

This (attached) is what I was trying to say. The two "M" symbols in the turnout represent some kind of motor/servo assumed to be inside. You could probably modify your H bridge to to the job without the extra relays (which in theory could be opto isolators)

Attachments

• Turnout control.png
    Turnout control.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 179
Here's how you could do it with solid state components. Your H-bridge (or two output pins of the Arduino) would connect to In1 and In2. The opto-isolators prevent any switching spikes from getting back to the Arduino.
I have assumed that the AC switch machine is similar internally to the DZ-1000 and simplified it for simulation purposes.
DCControlOfACSwitchMachine.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back