Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling Simple Transmitters with Crystals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman_Chris

Hi,

I was wondering about using crystals to keep the frequency of a simple AM or FM transmitter stable(ish). By simple I mean just a parallel inductor-capacitor tank circuit to oscillate at the desired frequency then output straight to the antenna (which I guess isn't actually FM). When I tried this approach the transmitter got very short range and if I moved closer to it the frequency would shift. How would I incorporate a quartz crystal to stablize the transmitting frequency? Also, would a quartz oscillator work better than the tank circuit design?

Thanks, Chris

PS - What does an RF amp look like and could I incorporate one to increase the range?

You cannot use a crystal in place of an LC oscillator in a simple bug circuit that produces AM and FM.

You can use a crystal in place of an LC oscillator in other type of oscillator circuits like a hartley oscillator. I wish i knew more about this because i would like to make a bug that uses a crystal instead of LC.

Ok, the only thing I don't like about the inductor-capacitor tank circuit (other than the frequency drifting) is that I have to make my own coils. What kind of coils would I need to transmit in the commercial FM bands (what diameter, gauge of wire, etc)? I tried using the formula to calculate the frequency but every time I tried it would come up with a very strange number. I used the basic units for all the values in the formula. Also, I want to put an RF amp on the circuit to boost the output power. I have an Amateur Radio license but I don't think that entitles me to transmit 5W on commercial bands... If anyone has a simple circuit for an RF amp it would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back