Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

controlling NPN transistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

strokedmaro

Can an npn transistor be controlled with a ground rather than a voltage input? Like voltage at the base and a ground applied to the emitter allowing (that same ground) to be applied to another part of the circuit?

Not that i know of. That would be the job of a PNP transistor. If your circuit is digital, and you need to turn the transistor on with 0v, then just use an inverter connected to the base. (with a resistor, of course).

Someone correct me if i am wrong.

Also, there is absolutely no reason to double post.

strokedmaro said:
Can an npn transistor be controlled with a ground rather than a voltage input? Like voltage at the base and a ground applied to the emitter allowing (that same ground) to be applied to another part of the circuit?
Yes, it's called the common base configuration.
Below is an example.

Attachments

• common base.PNG
    common base.PNG
    29.4 KB · Views: 193
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back