Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling linear actuators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aka sparky

I built a lift that uses 2 linear actuators that controled by a store bought control box that uses 3 momentary switches that can be programmed for 3 stopping points My problem is one side is faster than the other. The system is 12 volts and each actuator pulls 3 to 5 amps. I thought if I install a pot in line of the fast actuator I could adjust the voltage to one side to slow it down to match the other side. I can't seem to find a potentiometer that will handle the amperage any thoughts?

Is the load balanced equally to both actuators? Can you be sure that the load is always shared equally by the two actuators? If not, then potentiometer won't help compensating for the difference.

Can you post more information. What kind of actuators, controller and mechanical system you have? How bad is the speed-difference?

Thanks misterT. I think the load is balanced because when I swap the actuators side to side the faster one is still faster on the other side. I got the actuators and control box from flaming river. The actuators have a feed back potentiometer to allow you to set the stoping points. Since I have had the problem I have found other controller boxes that have built in potentiometers to sync their speed but I designed my electrical center for the size of my original controller and don't have room for the larger built in box. I do have room for a potentiometer if I could find one to handle the current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back