Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling large power with a uC

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

hello board,

I am working on a project that needs to be able to switch on 1500 watts. The load is a radiator type heater from honeywell, now this heater is digital and I was kinda thinking maybe I should "hack" into it and control the heater from the digital side, instead of messing with the 120V 10.3 amps.

Which way would you do it? If I hacked into the digital circuitry of the heater, I don't want to ruin the heater potentially, but I did purchase it at Walmart a week ago, and can return it lol...

Say the heater wasn't digitally controlled, what would be the best way to turn on a load like this?

I'm thinking you could use a uC to control a transistor triggered high current TRIAC. Or maybe a uC controlled high current MOSFET as a current source/sink to the load.

Last edited:
Or a relay - simpler still.

But heaters aren't 'digital', it may have some kind of control system which could be digital, but the heater itself is just a crude element.

Or a relay - simpler still.

But heaters aren't 'digital', it may have some kind of control system which could be digital, but the heater itself is just a crude element.

HA! Simplicity was what kept me away from the digital world for 20 years. lol

But basically any device that only requires a small input current to source/sink a large output current will do (i.e. an amplifier basically).

The nice thing about solid state relays it that they turn on when you apply anywhere from about 3 to 28 volts. Quieter than a mechanical, and probably longer lived, but more $ to acquire.

EDIT: to get one which handles more power, throw more $. :D I think they can get really big and powerful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back