Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling DC motor through RS232 cable??

Status
Not open for further replies.

the physeacyst

Hi
I am making a rocket for my school Science fest
I'am gonna make a computer controlled launch sequence (preferably through RS232 cable)
for e.g the computer must run the corresponding motor (which in turn mechanically switches the ignition circuit at the ground control)in specific sequence

Iam a newbie in electronics thus explanations in simple language will be greatly helpful

there willbe motors mechanically switching the ignition circuit (of which iam clear)

i want the computer to switch on 3 such motors in sequence 1-2-3 and the time interval must be programmable so that the system can be adjusted to get a perfect launch

My problem is whether can I control 3 dc motors from my serial port(one at a time only)
for my three ignitors
thnx in advance

You can easily control 3 dc motors from a serial port. It may be better to use a parallel port, however. I have a JTAG interface that uses the parallel port and software that I wrote to control the port. I can program delays in for critical timing requirements. You could do the same with your motors. If you only need to turn the motors on and off, you can use a simple transistor. If you have to reverse direction, you'll probably have to use an h-bridge. Also, you'll have to download special drivers to use your port. They take a little setting up. Here is a great place to start: Beyond Logic Find the section on parallel port interfacing. You'll find information about the drivers there. If you need help installing and setting them up, I'll try to remember how I did that. I'll see if I can find my old code and you can go over it and maybe adapt some of it for your needs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back