Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

YAN-1

Hi there. I am interested in monitoring a couple of analog voltages in an embedded system and make calculations according to them. For example, I will monitor the speed of a motor coming as a voltage from a tachometer and compare it to the desired speed that is inputed to the PIC as a digital number. So my question is: the A/D converter in the 16F877 or any PIC having A/D modules can do the job, right? I don't have to use the comparator in the 'A' version of those PICs if I want to know the difference beween the actual speed and the desired one. I can just calibrate the different analog voltages first and store their digital eqivalants in a look-up table and then monitor the analog signal as it changes. Am I close?!

YAN-1 said:
Hi there. I am interested in monitoring a couple of analog voltages in an embedded system and make calculations according to them. For example, I will monitor the speed of a motor coming as a voltage from a tachometer and compare it to the desired speed that is inputed to the PIC as a digital number. So my question is: the A/D converter in the 16F877 or any PIC having A/D modules can do the job, right? I don't have to use the comparator in the 'A' version of those PICs if I want to know the difference beween the actual speed and the desired one. I can just calibrate the different analog voltages first and store their digital eqivalants in a look-up table and then monitor the analog signal as it changes. Am I close?!
Yes, A/D with look-up tables will work fine here. Make sure you will use stable A/D voltage reference, and that tachometers impedance is not too high (may affect correct A/D result).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back