Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control Theory for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need Control Theory/OP Amp Help

I was wonderin how one can do any real serious Control Theory work without actually doing calc.

Any good advice also on op-amps for a time delay circuit. Would you use an RC or LC circuit in the feedback loop?

Last edited:
What kind of control theory are you asking about :confused:

Process control
Computer control
Traffic control
Spouse control :rolleyes:
etc
etc

Lefty

Control theory for amplifiers as in negative feedback, summing blocks, amplification blocks and the sort.

Spouse control?!? There's a formula behind that? I always thought that women were the greatest arguement against chaos theory....

The Aerosea Zach

The Aerosea Zach said:
Control theory for amplifiers as in negative feedback, summing blocks, amplification blocks and the sort.

Spouse control?!? There's a formula behind that? I always thought that women were the greatest arguement against chaos theory....

The Aerosea Zach

Don't you mean for the chaos theory?

The Aerosea Zach said:

The Aerosea Zach

Well I've never heard of it called amplifier control theory, but of course feedback is a form of process control that contains the same basic control components. Also some audio amps do also utilize a DC servo loop to force out any DC offset in direct coupled push pull output devices.

However you stated serious analysis and I don't think one could do justice without the understanding and use of the math that models it. One can certainly utilize existing designs and play around with values or try and scale the power up or down.

There are several OP amp application manuals by most manufactures that cover just about all applications for control schemes and can help ones understanding without too much deep math.

Lefty

This opamp applications manual by Texas Intruments is pretty good and has few errors:

Attachments

• Opamps for everyone.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 589
The Aerosea Zach said:
I was wonderin how one can do any real serious Control Theory work without actually doing calc.

Any good advice also on op-amps for a time delay circuit. Would you use an RC or LC circuit in the feedback loop?
Significant delay in a feedback loop generally makes an oscillator.

A circuit simulator might help. You can simulate full fledged circuits in a simulator and view the voltage/currents using as complicated an algorythm as you want. Feedback for the brain to understand the circuit in question. You can have an input graph in one window, and output graph in the other swap parts around and view things pretty much any way you want.

The Aerosea Zach said:
Thanks for your help.

CHaos theory, btw, is the theory that there is no such thing, and that everything is a system.

The Aerosea Zach
Neither enlightening, nor accurate. Certainly not funny.

Chaos theory by it's nature can't be simplified. It's in fact the other way around, start out simple and it gets more complex, that's what it's basic tenants are. How exactly that applies to this post I don't know.

Sceadwian said:
Chaos theory by it's nature can't be simplified. It's in fact the other way around, start out simple and it gets more complex, that's what it's basic tenants are. How exactly that applies to this post I don't know.

I seem to recall something about a butterfly flapping it's wings and starting a chain of events ending with a hurricane smacking a city. :rolleyes:
Lefty

Okay here people. Look
Chaos theory is complicated but it does all break down to one thing. Systems. Go to wikipedia and look up chaos theory.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

The Aerosea Zach

I will not pass judgment since I have not reviewed chaos theory. But I would go to the source of the chaos theory tenants, not wikipedia. Wikipedia is pretty useful, should not replace a good book. After all, it is populated with user definitions that can be wrong altogether, opinionated, or misguided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back