Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

control system

Status
Not open for further replies.

meowth08

Suppose I have a the transfer function of a control system in the form of:

T(s)=P(s)/Q(s)

where:
P(s) is the numerator
Q(s) is the denominator and the numerical coefficient of (s) of the factor with the highest power equals 1.

example:

T(s)=(3s+17)/[(s^2)+as+b]

Note:

a and b are constants.

Is there a way or technique I could use to find values for a and b such that the output will be critically damped? or underdamped? or overdamped? given a unit step input?

Last edited:
Hi,

The discriminant from the denominator solution is:
sqrt(a^2-4*b)

When the inside:
a^2-4*b

is equal to zero:
a^2-4*b=0

we have the critically damped case.

When the inside is positive:
a^2-4*b>0

we have the overdamped case.

When the inside is negative:
a^2-4*b<0

we have the underdamped case.

Thank you so much. At the time I was posting this, I was already thinking of the possible (those I know by screen name) users who would give me a reply. To let you know, you're the first on my list. :D

I asked about this since this is a part of my homework. They discussed this in the lecture but they did not mention about how we are going to do it. They gave examples but I know I would never figure out these things only by looking at them. Thanks again sir. :D. My homework has a lot harder transfer functions. I'm lucky you had the discussions before for those denominators with imaginary roots.

Thank you sir :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back