Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

control options for turning off unused lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
My family is driving me nuts, they leave everything in the house on, lights, tv's, pc's you name it.

Is there any way I can at the very least control their lighting by having some sort of switch that will detect movement (or the lack thereof) and switch off the lights when unused.

I was thinking photoelectric perhaps but unfortunately I am very much a noob in electronics.

Is it possible to wire some type of PIR system in each room similar to the way alarms operate?

Any advice happily received

Yours electrically challenged

Lee

Last edited:
Just off the top of my head, seems like PIR (= "motion detector") would be the way to go here. You'd need a fairly simple circuit with 1) a PIR detector, 2) a timer (at least one, maybe more) and 3) logic to coordinate everything.

Pseudocode for such a device might look like this:

if (power on)
{restart-timer: start timer
loop (while timer counts down)​
{ if (PIR sensor activated)​
got restart-timer​
}​
; timer has expired
turn off lights​
}

At least I think that'll work ...

Last edited:
You can purchase an integrated motion detector light switch. I see them typically in commercial restrooms. I see one of two implementations. Just use it directly when there is a 1 person rest room involved and with a "night light" of sorts when a larger restroom is involved.

If you can install a light switch, you can do it with off-the-shelf ones. Probably cheaper than you can make you own.
Google: motion light switch

Ken

My family is driving me nuts, they leave everything in the house on, lights, tv's, pc's you name it.
I have this problem too. My first move was to replace most of the incandescent bulbs with CFL's. They use 20% of the power of an equally rated incandescent bulb.

Last edited:
I already have the low energy bulbs, but just moving round the house after them turning them off is driving me insane!! Buying PIR's individually and wiring them up to each room could be quite expensive, ill check out the other alternatives, and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks

Green is not cheap. :(

Ken

..., but just moving round the house after them turning them off is driving me insane!! ...
Get a life, and don't stress out about it. Or, get a second job to pay the power bill. Either of these will improve your relationship with your family. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back