Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control of zoom/focus in a CCTV camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowana

I have a CCTV camera with built in zoom and focus. It is designed to be controlled via RS485 commands with Pelco-D encoding, although the camera also has individual connections for zoom/focus.

I would rather use these connections with transistors/relays than the RS485 connection, as that way I don't have to bother with Pelco-D encoding.

However, it seems slightly more complex than just plugging in switches and relays, and I'd appreciate your help.

The back of the camera looks like this:
**broken link removed**

With the connector on the left having connections for (quotes from the manual):
RS485 (+-): Use for RS485 Control
Z (Zooom): Dry Contact Control
F (Focus): Dry Contact Control
M (Menu): Dry Contact Control
C (Com): Dry Contact Control

I can see how you could connect a switch between Comm and a pin (eg zoom), but I'm at a loss as to how this could zoom both in and out. The same with focus. I'd imagine that either it cycles (eg zooms in then out then in etc), or the connection is more complex (possibly involving the + and - connections to the left?

The buttons at the top left of the camera control both functions, eg telephoto and wide angle.

What do you guys recon?

Thanks for any input/suggestions!

Last edited:
What is the make and model?

It could be that connecting to + zooms one way and connecting to - zooms the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back