Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

control of robot over the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhelp

hi there! i really really need your help. we have a project and our aim is control of robot over the internet.. it need not be overly advanced.. just the basics.. basically i just need to learn how to control the serial port using java, and then i have to learn how to use that program over the internet.. i was thinking of maybe using the tomcat as a server and then java applets or servlets for the website used for user input.. but the problem is, i really don't know how everything works! if anyone can help me, i'd really appreciate it.. just the basics.. even if it's just controlling the serial port thru the internet [but still using java or turbo c]. and also, i have to know how to control a webcam thru the net? i need it for live feedback of what's happening to the "robot". the robot need not be a real robot.. it could be any circuit connected to the serial port, and can be controlled over the internet.. thanks alot!!! i really need this.. it's very important..

Without going into too much detail, I current have a web interface that allows me to access the lighting in my home. The controller only has a serial port. My system is a linux machine. In my case, I have a 'C' program that knows how to talk to the lighting controller. The program can be executed from the command line. To make it web-enabled, I wrote a simple perl script that translates clicks on the web page into the proper arguments for the command line program and then executes it. I dont have a webcam, but others that I have seen simply continuosly overwrite a file on their drive and then serve the most current file whenever the browser requests it.

thanks very much for the reply.. umm.. if it's not too much of a bother, could you be more specific? i'm not really that familiar with perl..
one more question.. so, how do i deploy it in the internet? do i need some kind of host or something? or is it embedded in the html file.. i really don't know.. thanks!

Perl is a very versatile scripting/programming language. First I would get apache up and running as your web server and learn a bit about CGI programming. At that point, you can look at mod_perl (which connects apache and perl). You can use your script to generate the HTML on the fly or a number of other template engines. Once you get that working, you just have to modify your perl script to talk to another program. Perl is rather simple to learn.

crust said:
Without going into too much detail, I current have a web interface that allows me to access the lighting in my home. The controller only has a serial port. My system is a linux machine. In my case, I have a 'C' program that knows how to talk to the lighting controller. The program can be executed from the command line. To make it web-enabled, I wrote a simple perl script that translates clicks on the web page into the proper arguments for the command line program and then executes it. I dont have a webcam, but others that I have seen simply continuosly overwrite a file on their drive and then serve the most current file whenever the browser requests it.

Are you using X10 ? If so what controller ? USB/Serial/Parallel

re:-Control over the net

There used to be this site on the net out of Australia that allowed you to control a robotic arm through a Java interface. There was an explanation on how to go about doing it.
I cant find the site and am unsure if its still online. Maybe someone in here remembers it and the tutorial that went along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back