Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control of digital servo different from analogue servo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

king.oslo

Hello there,

I made a device that controls a analogue servo using a PIC18 microcontroller. I used variable pulse width to control the angle of the servo. The pattern was like this:

SIGNAL (1-2ms) --- PAUSE (20ms) --- SIGNAL (1-2ms) --- PAUSE (20ms) --- SIGNAL (1-2ms)

I recently bought a digital servo. A HiTec-branded one, and it doesnt seem to respond to this pattern. This makes me wonder if that servo requires a different signal because it is digital?

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Marius

Last edited:
It should respond the same as the analog servo, with digital servo's the only thing that changes is how things work under the hood, the steering commands are still the same. The term 'digital' servo is a bit of a misnomer, it's an industry term used only because the control electronics are different. The original analog servo's were still digital in nature, it's pulse length modulation, but with restrictions on duty cycle. They're still tehcnically digital devices because they rely on on and off pulses, even if all the electronics under the hood are analog.
Digital/Analog is actually not as clear cut to describe as you might think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back