Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control neon lights with X10 module

Status
Not open for further replies.

holabr

I have some Christmas candle lights that use what appears to be a neon type bulb to emulate a flickering candle flame. I would like to control them using some X10 modules I have been using for years. The problem is that when the module is off, there is enough current flow that the bulb continues to flicker slightly. Is there a way to put a small resistor in parallel with the bulb that would bleed off this current when it is off but not cause a problem when it is on? What value would you try?

You migh be better off with an 'appliance module' which uses a mechanical relay instead of solid state switching.

You are right and I am using some appliance modules, but I don't have enough of them to do the job. I have plenty of the light modules.

Appliance modules alone might not help. They all have a detection circuit that senses when the load's power switch is turned on. This circuit puts a few mA through the load at all times.

You can read about how to defeat this here.

holabr,
I have this same problem at Halloween with those flame flicker lights. The appliance module will not help because it contains the same 'local on' feature circuity as the light module, which is what is causing the glow when off.

You need an additional 'bleeder' load. Plug in one of those 3-way cube taps into your module, plug in your flicker light AND another load such as a small night light, a small mini light string or a plug-in air freshener. I use the latter because I don't want any additional brightness near my flicker bulbs.

Don

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back