Control Ckt for 1RPM movement using M42SP-7P stepper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutycaty

Hi all! I'm a newbee elex engg student & wana build a wooden camera platform[Barn door mount as it is called by astro geeks] which tracks the skies.Its plane is carefully tilted towards pole so only 1 axis needs to b rotated.Mechanical arrangement is such that 1/4"[20 tpi] threaded rod drives the plates apart @ rate of 1 RPM to chase the motion of earth.Same thing can also b readily applied in SunSeeker system but it does so only 4 couple of hours.

I've got a salvaged stepper motor from a printer paper feed.Its M42SP-7P manuf.by Mitushi & its written QH4-4389 & 21ohm.There is 5:1 gear reduction with 12 teeth gear permanently attached to the motor shaft.Motor has 5 wires.So i believe its a unipolar motor.

Now how do i proceed to make the control ckt to operate w/o microcontroller if possible? & i've read that microstepping will reduce jerks which w'd otherwise be visible in long xposure[many minutes] photos to be taken with the setup.Which ICs should i use to have stable/accurate speed?

Do i need temp.compensation coz the ckt may operate in night hours when due/cold conditions?

I've also chkd mains power adapter of printer & its working!!its o/p is 5v@0.2A & 24V@ 0.55A.Can i use itas well here?Plz help me with details & if possible links to practical ckts & connections.This is my 1st post & since robotics experts r expected to know a gr8 deal about motors;posted in this sub forum.

hello..

You may need to break your problem apart into small parts.. especially if that's your first project.

First start by trying to drive a stepper motor alone, and you'll notice in no time, that you'll need a micro controller. Then you'll start by searching for a micro controller that is simple enough to get started like an ATMEGA16, a 89S52 or a PIC as all the people on this forum are PIC adepts.

then you will need a simple power circuit, to drive the coils of the motor from the micro-controller signals..

Microsteps can be achieved with a PWM equipped micrcontroller like the ATMEGA16..

IF you still want to stick to non-microcontroller circuits, well, the net is full of it:
**broken link removed**
Stepper Motor Controller
**broken link removed**

Thanks 4 help.

Tode on stupid advice of friend got a synchronous motor of 5 rpm but it proved to b useless since within matter of minits it stopped functioning n prior to that every s/w on was giving it random direction.Further freq stability w'd be a problem along with mains availability.So stepper is the most precise option n i'm also considering uc after its advantages n expansion flexibilities like addition of pan & Tilt head later on.

Rait now I've got L293D IC n hell of logic gates in stock box were already there..n also CD 4060 which was mentioned in one of the ckts having SAA1027 bt later IC is unavailable.Can i succeed with L293D for this motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…