Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

control 240 rgb LEDs individually with a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, my 1st post here so I hope you can help.

Ok I am a noob to all this although I did take electronics at school and I can solder etc... I also had an introduction to C++ and Java at Uni

THE IDEA
- Create a matrix of LEDs (48 columns x 5 rows)
- Use a PC to control each individual LED
- Power from a 12v DC car battery
- Eventually code some colourful light displays
This may be a unique installation as I will be putting these LEDs under the front grill of my 1978 VW Campervan! This already has an onboard windows computer.

So I am not sure where to begin and I dont want to waste my time and money. By googling I see I might need an Ardunio board and a PWD or possible I read something about shift registers...

Can anyone help me get this project designed?

I will be very greatful and I will post pics once it is complete!!!

Thanks for any help

Gary

also I meant to say, yes Ihave looked through the forum but I cant find any generic 'how tos' all seem specific to peoples problems... as you would expect!

If I'm not mistaken there is an ethernet solution up to the challenge, using a Wiznet and Propeller chip. The project is up on one of the Xmas forums. The WS2801 is also talked about extensively over there, including premade rgb led strings from China.

hi, thanks for the suggestion to look at the xmas forums but i cant find any reference to it, do you know of any links?

https://diylightanimation.com/ is one... a lot of the stuff they use over there is DMX512 stuff though.

48x5 RGB devices equals 720 individual leds. Do you want simple on/off for each led or do you want to do more sophisticated color mixing by controlling the brightness of each led? I'm fairly certain that will make things quite a bit more complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back