Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Contradiction in relay rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I have found something peculiar.
I pulled a couple of relays of an old board, they are from the Nais DS2 series. The markings on the relays themselves give contact ratings of (I think - don't have them to hand to check) 0.5A. But the datasheet gives a carrying current of 3A.
Can anyone explain the discrepancy?

Relays have different code classifications and also contacts are rated for DC/AC, inductive/resistive loads, frequency of operation etc.
Each have very different characteristics.
Max.

Last edited:
If you don't have the relay in hand, why do you think it is .5A?

Relays have different code classifications and also contacts are rated for DC/AC, inductive/resistive loads, frequency of operation etc.
Each have very different characteristics.
Max.

What he said for starters. :)

Ron

Some relays will also have a rating for "motors". That is different than for a restrictive load.

You are all missing my point!
I was mistaken about the current rating, which was from my memory, but it is still very differerent from the data sheet
The photo shows the markings on one of the relays. It is a Nais DS2Y-S-DC5V. It clearly shows 0.3A at 125VAC or 110VDC, or 1A at 30VDC.
Now if you look at the datasheet, the maximum switching current is 2A and the max carrying current is 3A. Even taking into account the switching power, of 60W or 62.5VA making the 30VDC off the case marking, this should still be 2A, or about 0.5A at the higher voltages. Also the datasheet states twice the max switching voltage to that shown on the case marking.
It's as though it's a compleley different relay.
So why would the manufacturer mark the case with one rating, and state a very different rating on the datasheet?

Attachments

• relay1.jpg
    relay1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 137
  • ds2y-s-dc5v_relay.pdf
    60.2 KB · Views: 129
Check the Expected Life figures in the datasheet. For example, the 1A @ 30VDC marking on the relay corresponds to an expected life of 5 x 10^5 operations, whereas the 2A rating is for only 1 x 10^5. Although not stated as such, there would be a difference between 'normal' current rating and absolute maximum current rating.

Data sheet:
1A, 30VDC, 500000 operations.
2A, 30VDC, 100000 operations.
At 2A it lasts 1/5 as long.

Mmm, OK that makes sense. So the device marking corresponds to longest possible life.
So, this relay might have to carry 3A, but it should never have to switch significant current, so I'm good to go :)

So why would the manufacturer mark the case with one rating, and state a very different rating on the datasheet?

Wow, what a coincidence, a couple of years ago in the process of building a Panasonic ATE, I ran in to the exact same situation with the DSxx series. Due to strict compliance & documentation issues at work, had to get to the bottom of it.
Response from Panasonic Industrial Engineering was simply due to a "marketing mistake" that crept in the datasheet!o_O
I was told to use the stamped amperage on the relay.:meh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back