Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Continuity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrostatic

Can some one tell me the meaning of this...

When you test for continuity what does it actually mean. I have an idea but not sure if its right and so i wanted someone to clarify this for me.

Continuity is an expression which means there is an electrical path between two points, usually a low resistance.

Example, you are fault finding a bit of equipment, you use a multimeter set to the ohms range and you measure from the power input connector to the transformer, you get a low resistance reading.
When the boss asks what you have found you can say, "there is continuity from the mains connector to the transformer".

JimB

Many digital multimeters have a "continuity" function that emits a "beeeeeeep!" whenever you short the probes together or you connect the probes to a complete circuit. It will usually emit a beep as long as the resistance of the external circuit is under a certain number of specified ohms as outlined in the DMM's instruction manual.

Dean

typically, you use the continuity function of a multimeter to check whether a good solder joint is made in hobby circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back